Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto reclosing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samreen

Electrical
Aug 27, 2007
PK
Do we need to block Auto reclosing when eitherSoTF or Stub protection operated if yes why?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends. What do you want? SOTF means that you have closed into a fault on an unenergized line; do you want to try it again? Stub bus protection trip says that you have a bus fault; do you reclose for bus faults?

I agree with David, and it depends on the voltage level. 69kV+ I would never auto reclose for a bus fault. Same for for a SOTF. 9 times out of 10 (at least what I have seen) a SOTF arrises when the field forgets to pull the ground chains off the lines after working on them and then close the breaker which results in a bolted 3 ph fault. So I would drive to lock out and not reclose for a SOTF.

marks1080, if it were that easy, I'd have responded with a yes. We don't worry about lightning to the point of not shielding lines; somebody I know who cut his teeth doing protection in Florida says they'd regularly do a single single reclose on bus faults because they'd have so many false bus diff trips from close in lightning strikes. If you'd normally reclose on bus faults you'd also reclose on a stub bus fault.

Not sure why anybody would reclose following SOTF, but they might, say if you have multi-shot reclosing and get SOTF on anything other than shot 0 you might want to go ahead and allow subsequent shots but block reclose for SOTF on shot 0.

No one size fits all answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back