Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto_transformer rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

friend81

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2006
BR
Hi Guys,

I would like to to know if the calculation for dimensioning a 3 Phase Auto-transformer is same as that of a power transformer
ie (Volts x Amps X 1.73)/1000 ?

i am thinking of installing a 30HP,380V pump set in 220V,3Phase,AC power supply by employing a step-up auto-transformer, so the calculation should be (380 X 52 X 1.73)/1000 = 34.184kVA & the nearest available rating should be a 40KVA transformer .

I would also like to know how to calculate required generator capacity for this situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For 30 HP use 3 X 30 KVA = 90 KVA for the generator.
OR
Go to the Cat site or the Onan site or the F. G. Wilson site or another manufacturers site and use their software.
A prime power set has 10% more capacity for motor starting than a standby set.
The PMG option (Permanent Magnet Generator) may help motor starting.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Friend81,
Regarding the sizing of an auto-transformer, the formula to determine the kva of the auto-transformer is:

KVA(Auto) = (1 - (Vin/Vout))* KVA of the load. The auto-transformer is only transforming the difference between the input and output voltages. This equation applies if it is a step up auto-transformer. If you are using a step down auto-transformer, simply interchange Vin and Vout.

You can see that if the input and output voltage are significantly different from one another, the size of the auto-transformer approaches the size of an isolation transformer, so it does not make sense to use an auto-transformer in such an application.

Keep in mind that there is no electrical isolation between the primary and secondary, and be careful with grounding/ground fault relaying.

Dave

Thanks Guys,

Podobing
as per the formula if i work out the Auto-transformer rating for this 30HP motor, the working will be as follows

(( 1- (220/380))* (22kw*0.83PF) = (1-0.58)*18.26KVA = 7.67kVA.

The auto transformer can be a minimum of 10KVA rating with safety margin.

To calculate the KVA of the load, motor output power is considered in the above calculation. Is it correct or motor input power to be taken into account instead of output power to calculate KVA of the load ?

Waross,

The motor is 220/380V dual voltage motor. The idea of running the motor in 380V is to reduce the cost in Power cable & control panel components. The pump set is for deep well application hence there is space restriction in using a bigger diameter cable.

The control panel will be equipped with a Soft-starter or an Auto-Transformer starting.

Friend81,
Using the formula that I gave earlier, kva(load) is the kva, not kw or kw*pf. In your example, I would use 30 kva for the load. Applying the formula, you would get (1-0.58)*30 kva = 12.6 kva. That would be the (minimum) size of the auto-transformer that you would need to do the job. As you can see, if the input and output voltages get farther from one another, the part inside the parentheses approaches 1.0, and the size of the auto-transformer approaches the size of an isolation transformer.
Dave

Podobing

oh ya there was a blunder mistake in my kva calculation. For calculating the kva of a 3Ph motor the formula is = (1.73*I*V)/1000 = (1.73*45*380)/1000 = 29.6kva.

Based on the same calculation if i to need step-up the Voltage for 460V instead of 380V, then the Auto-transformer rating increases to 15.7kva.

Is the same formula applicable to 1Phase system also ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back