Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AutoCAD 2000 and Windows XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kujo

Dec 28, 2001
US
Hello,

I'm new to this site and here's my first question.

I'm interested in installing Windows XP (not sure about which version) but I'm wondering if I will have problems with using AutoCAD 2000 and XP? I've read that some people have had problems and others have not. I know nothing about the compatibility wizard that some have refered to, but if that works, I'm tempted to give it a shot. Any comments or experiences out there?

TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wouldn't even try to install AutoCad on an XP operating system. TOO MANY PROBLEMS! skick with Windows 95, 98 or ME and wait a year or two until Autodesk comes out with a new release that operates under XP.

If operating CAD is part of your employment, why waste your time getting it to run "half-assed," you can be more productive without XP.

In addition there are major security issues with XP, someone over the Internet can take total control of your machine, simillar to running "REMOTE CONTROL"

If you want to have a number of severe troubles - go ahead. Personally, I tried Mechanical Desktop 4.0 - it does not even go there. So, I keep my comp with two operating systems 98 and XP.

I'd like to add a somewhat contrary response to running Acad2000 on XP(Pro). I run a stand-alone machine, and up to this point I've had very good luck with it. I read in the official Acad forum that running A-2000 on XP home version was not a good idea--lots of problems.
In the near future I might be putting on Eaglepoint's civil program--maybe I'll see something different.
I hope not.

All great comments! Thanks for all the feedback. Based on what I've read here, I think I'm going to hold out just a bit longer before I "upgrade" to Win XP.

And, is there any chance someone can beam me the "official" ACAD forum link. I can't find it.

Thanks again!

Have a great New Year!

Hi..All,
I gone thru' all ur comments..but..much of this sounds like the reply got not by experience...but heard as rumours..

Actually...AutoCAD 2002 works..well in the WinXP...
I confirmed this one from a trusted source..as well..

Tryout..

Chuchu
chuchubabu@hotmail.com

A client of ours has been trying for weeks to solve plotting problems running AutoCAD 2002 in Windows XP. Autodesk did not have a fix for them.

I wouldn't recommend using ACAD and ME as we have experienced some problems with file associations and some programs for some unexplained reason just won't work with ACAD open because of this.

sc

i run acad 2002 power pack 6, and my reseller told me that xp and xp pro are not currently supported by autocad.it was recommended that i run windows 2000 pro.

I have used AutoCAD 2000 with Windows XP Home edition and it worked fine. I had no problems with the operation or the print management. I am currently running AutoCAD 2002 on Windows XP home edition and it too works great. I would recommend that you do a clean install of Windows XP (format c: drive first). You can do this with a upgrade edition of Windows XP as long as you have a previous version of Windows on CD. Switching to Windows XP is worth the money. It is a superior operating system from the previous versions. I have been running it for about 3 months and my computer has not locked-up once.

Grant

I am currently running AutoCAD 14 and 2000 on Windows XP and have not had one bit of trouble. I've even had a demo version of 2002 on there and it was fine. I'm not sure why everyone else is having problems but as of yet I haven't. I've been using this setup since October 2001. I say just give it a shot and if it doesn't work put your old Windows system back on your computer. If you don't try you'll never know.

Autocad 2002, and autocad 2002 LT and Mechanical desktop 6 work perfectly on win XP, I've tried them personally.
Upgrade your cad version and it'll work well.

I have installed AutoCAD 2002 Map on three XP Pro machines (one P4 and two Athlons with various hardware) and have found that when installed on a virgin machine AutoCAD works sufficiently. (when I mean 'sufficiently' I'm saying that during the burn in period I had no crashes or critical errors). I only tested the machines with a few simple drawings (15k, 1256k, 3.4MB 3D Topo, 62.1MB Base drawings and one render) in the process just to see how well they performed and handled workload. The problems I found came with the installation of other software packages such as MS Office, Delphi, Word Perfect, Lotus Suite(runs good on all machines), Homesite, and various other apps. Since where were just evaluating XP's performance and stability we did not focus on the reasons for the errors, but we did end up reloading the machines with win98 and 2000.
NOTES: The Pentium machine locked up during some of our tests using Word Perfect and AutoCAD in unison. At one point the machine became completely unusable and we where forced to reload.
We also found that AMD CPU's have an error in their AGP paging system that has been fixed within windows, but not Linux. I'll try to get you some more information on this if you use any Unix tools for drafting or engineering. This problem is CPU specific and only effects a certain lot of CPU's.

To any autoCADders... I'm trying to figure out the function that will let me do what I want to, and THAT is:
6 different viewports on the same layoutare showing different areas of a floor plan containing different colours of dense hatching. In order to dodge duplicating the model and making the file size huge, I'm trying to set up certain hatches shown through certain viewports... i don't know if its possible.... and I don't know how well I explained it.
please help.
-work guy

Go to 'View' 'Tiled View Ports' and you can place viewports within viewports(AutoCAD only allows creation of 4 viewports at a time), depending on how you want your viewports placed. You can also join and delete viewports from this menu.

I haven't done any extensive testing but I am running windows xphome at home and, thus far I have had no problems. You might consider XP Pro if you plan any extensive drawing projects. Home addition just isn't designed to handle the load the way pro is.

I am running 2000 lt on two different XP machines, (a desktop and a laptop) without any problems. I am only using it for light viewing and simple sketches. Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back