Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autocad 2004 2005 installer stops while installing, no error codes 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperPower

Automotive
Jan 14, 2005
BE
When I try to install autocad everything works fine, typ serial, user, companie, etc etc if after that the actual install begins cd-rom stops spinning en nothing happens exept CPU 100%, no error codes are displayed in windows or logs. 2004 has always worked in a previous installation of windows, now on all the computers I have (8) the same problem. All are running XP with all the last updates installed.

I need help desperatly, i can't make changes to my suspension design, and the drawings are due tomorrow else we wont have our part ready for the new racing season

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may try to copy the CD contents to your harddrive and then install.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

already did that, I made an image from the cd to install it from the harddisk, but a previous installation a year ago with the same cd didn't give a problem. I know it is something with windows updates, I just can't figure it out

I noticed you mentioned that you had all the latest updates for Win XP ~ I've heard LOTS of bad things about XP Service Pack 2 ~ so much so that I haven't even considered installing it.
I reckon your problem is with the XP SP's ~ especially as you mentioned that it installed without any problems previously.

I had to install SP2 to keep out the virusses, that's a problem with our internet provider. I know SP2 is a big upgrade, but that is where updates for programs are for autocad 2004 SP1 supports xp SP2 and 2005 series also support xp SP2

I have had no problems with SP2 and R2004 or R2005 installs. Make sure that your virus protection software is disabled and also any registry protectors, spyware protectors, etc. Physically disconnect from the web while you are this unprotected. Have nothing running other than windows essentials, no firewall, anti-virus, etc. The install should work!!

After the fresh install of xp did you install anything else, besides service packs? Also in the task manager is the Installation taking up 100% resources? Try rolling back service pack 2(uninstall it in the add/remove programs menu), then install autocad. Then re-install service pack 2.

It is a know XP SP2 issue. Some machines have problems, others don't.

I'm using Inventor, but all the autodesk products were exerting the same install issues. I broke my install of IV Pro (lost all the modules), and couldn't uninstall much less re-install or fix the problem.

There supposedly is a hot-fix, but I haven't had the guts to install it yet.

There should be something on the microsoft web-site, but I couldn't find the hot-fix there.

I believe that you can also uninstall SP2, (go back to SP1) and then do a new install...make sure everything runs, and then do the SP2 install again. I went a couple days before I realized the problem with my install, and didn't want to mix up my entire system.

@ DesignerMike: Then I don't understand, why do they say that 2005 fully supports xp sp2. Installing xp without sp2 is not an option because the xp install cd already has sp2 integrated so it is installed together with xp and therefore no unistall files are availeble. All xp's are english versions and all machines have the same problem.

Yes justroln, CPU usage is 100% taskmanager says the install is "running" and not "not responding". I can leave the install going on for hours, but that does nothing

Your problem looks to be the same as the one afflicting the divx codec. There solution is the following:
A short-term solution to DEP incompatibility is to disable DEP. Disabling DEP is a security risk, and will increase the vulnerability of your computer to certain types of attacks, but no more so than was possible under Windows XP Service Pack 1, which did not include the DEP feature.

If you choose to disable DEP, we recommend that you try to update all your software and drivers to Windows XP SP2-compatible versions as soon as they are released, and then re-enable the DEP feature. DivXNetworks will be releasing SP2-compatible versions of all affected products shortly. We also recommend the use of up-to-date anti-virus and firewall software at all times.

How to disable DEP

To disable DEP, perform the following actions:

* Click Start -> Run
* Enter Notepad %SYSTEMDRIVE%Boot.ini
* Under [operating systems] replace the parameter /NoExecute=xxxxx with /Execute
Save the Boot.ini file
* Restart your computer

IMPORTANT: Save a copy of your original Boot.ini file as a backup before you make changes!

You can decide for yourselves what you would like to do of course. The DivX web page is worth a visit, as at the bottom of the support page they provide a notify by email button, to automaticaly make you aware if this page is updated.

The original site is
Hope it helps.

DesignerMike has the correct answer here :), the problem I had was the one concerning the article in his link. This problem is a known problem with windows, but a hotfix is not supplied, to get the hotfix you need to call the helpdesk and ask for a hotfix order, the operator then asks a article ID in this case "Article ID:885898" and send an e-mail with links to the hotfix en passwords to install the hotfix. I think this has something to do against the illegal copies of windows. If anyone needs the patch, I managed to extract both dutch and english patch so a password isn't needed anymore. I'll upload to my server one of these days and I'll post the link for anyone who might need it.

Hi ViperPower!!
I've got the same problem with the Autocad 2004 installation using XP+SP2...would be very nice if you could make my dreams real and upload the file and insert the link here!!
I DO need it :)
Thank you very much!!

Are there any installs of ACAD w XP-SP2 that work? Our IT guys install, then Norton Ghost the installs onto new computers. Another idea...

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

I just uploaded the english files, I also have the dutch versions of the files if somebaody might need it. For any other languages you'll have to call microsoft because I only have dutch and english registered versions of XP.

The english files can be found on my user space

copy both files to a folder and execute "WindowsXP-KB885898-x86-ENU.exe"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back