Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD 2D support in SWX

Status
Not open for further replies.

tluxon1

Mechanical
May 16, 2001
US
I was an AutoCAD network administrator from 1984 to 1996 when I started using SolidWorks. SolidWorks drawings are slowly but surely adapting many of the features that AutoCAD drawings have, such as layer names, blocks, etc. SolidWorks even seems to suggest that we don't need AutoCAD anymore to support old AutoCAD drawings.

I recently came into a company that has approximately 5,000 AutoCAD drawings (all 2D, no paperspace). I bought a couple seats of SolidWorks for design purposes, and so far I am the only user. Everybody else that sees what I can do with SolidWorks wants to get in on it, but there is so much legacy data (Acad dwgs) and a "put out the fire with the water in your hand instead of heading for the firehose" mentality, that it's a tough sell.

In the last year, AutoCAD has gone the route of eliminating the equity of old software, forcing me to make a decision whether to upgrade from R14 to 2000 or 2002 or utilize SolidWorks alone. Maybe there's also the possibility of finding a less expensive package that works with AutoCAD drawings, such as IntelliCAD.

I'm sure this has been a common dilemna among SolidWorks users, but I can't imagine trying to sustain AutoCAD drawings with SolidWorks. Has anybody chosen to do this? How has it worked out? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Tim Luxon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tim,
have you thought of 2D>3D converters from many new "Z" companies?
With bigger or greater human factor and
greater or smaller success they make 3D models.
Most probably you don't need all the 5000 drawings converted.
Maybe its worth converting parts needed for new
projects and going gradually to 3D from there?
You don't need all old drawings converted into 3D as
they were good so far, why not any more!
All the rest 2D legacy could be converted to pdf for
quick access and low possibility of tweaking (just in case).
These are my maybe crazy ideas :^). Guys let know what you think.
Linqur

Tim,

I have worked with SW almost since the day it was released, and I now work for a company that has 55+ seats of AutoCAD. Now I don't understand there logic all the time, but they have me automating the design and drawing process using SW, and then I export out to AutoCAD as a DXG. That may be an option for you to think about.

You could import those ACAD drawing to SW, but some things may have to change like certain standards that are different in SW vs AutoCAD.

Example: Is if you use a cloud as a border around a note. SW doesn't have that option yet.

The more people you get involved with SW the more of a chance you will have to implement SW. ACAD users are some of the most dedicated users I have ever seen. They usally don't even turn there heads to look at anything else. At least that's the way it is here. My defintion of ACAD users are "Old School Users". They are afraid to get with today's cutting edge technology. That scares me more than anything else :). I don't like the fact that SW has made improvements that look like ACAD, but I'm not the guy calling the shots.

The CAD manager here at my company sits next to me, and he upgrades everyone computer when they get a newer copy of ACAD. He has posted to the AutoCAD NG that ACAD 2000 is crap. This is do to the fact that the security is so much trouble this time it's ridiculous. If you have 5000 seats of this and the plan is to upgrade to 2000, your going to have some real issues dealing with all those seats.

As for a intellicad I don't know. You won't see the cool things like you do with SW. As for a package below SW for me would have to be "Thinkdesign". Check out "Design Engineering" magazine they have some good articles about some different CAD packages out here. But I don't think I'll will ever change. I'll move states before I have to use AutoCAD or something else.

Well back to work.
Hope that helps,

How much money can we make on this post...LOL?
My $.02 worth
Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

I have to agree with lingur's suggestion.

To use the coined phrase "first touch rule." In real terms, commit to using SolidWorks as your CAD package. All new project/parts will be designed and drafted using SolidWorks. If existing parts (drawn in ACAD) are needed in the new projects, update them as required. In this context, update means to create the SolidWorks Part and Drawing from scratch, trying to make the SWX drawing resemble the original ACAD drawing.

By using the first touch rule, you are not spending a fortune in outside 3D conversion, nor are you spending large amounts of time recreating your parts in 3D that do not need to be. When you have committed to using SWX rather than ACAD, you can uninstall ACAD from the workstations and install a viewer in its place. That way anyone can still view the ACAD files but will not have the desire (possibility) to use ACAD for "just a quick modification."

Even though I wrote a ton of info :), I must say Linqur and Scott are correct as well. Linqur gave a very good suggestion. "First Touch Rule" Good job guys, I must have had my brain turned off on that idea this morning. Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

I appreciate such prompt feedback to this thread.

I was previously at a small medical device design and manufacturing company just prior to my present position. I was successful at converting everybody over to SolidWorks from AutoCAD in about one year. I simply did as "swertel" suggested - did all new designs in SolidWorks. As designs and their drawings were released and maintenance responsibility fell into the hands of the CAD group, they maintained them with SolidWorks. AutoCAD was retained for legacy drawings and artwork, but as the legacy drawings were replaced by SW drawings, slowly but surely AutoCAD use was diminished.

One thing that's different about my present position is that the products are much more complex and most new designs are iterations of pre-existing products. Some of the designs I've been responsible for were a meager 5% portion of the end product. What is done here is basically taking a fairly complex AutoCAD drawing and using it as a template for a new configuration. I can modify the drawings in minutes or hours, whereas creating the models and drawings in SolidWorks often takes much longer.

I've resigned myself to being surrounded by AutoCAD drawings till the end of time, but I'm looking for an alternative for maintaining them at a lower cost. My predecessor was anxious to retire and didn't worry about getting money budgeted for upgrading AutoCAD R14. Any suggestions for that?

I can't wait to look back at this dilemma a year from now and be able to share what I've learned.

Thanks,

Tim Luxon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back