Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Autocad 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

civeng80

Structural
Dec 21, 2007
AU
I'd like to learn how to do 3D and walk thru with autocad (2008) anyone have any advice on how to start this. Not many courses in my area on 3D (lots on 2D).
Also is it worth the time and effort ?

All responses greatly appreciated !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Over the past few revisons, Autodesk has greatlky improved the 3D capability of AutoCAD. Some companies use AutoCAD for just that purpose. That said, if you are into 3D you really need to consider moving to a solid modeling type software which is designed for this type of use. Packages to consider incluse Solid Edge, Solid Works and Inventor.

Inventor is an Autodesk product that you can download a demo version on. Many local colleges run Inventor classes.

Don't ask which is better, each has its stong points and each has significant followings who are passionate about the software they use. I use one of the three in my job, I teach another one of the three at a local college in the evenings. All are good in different ways.

Thanks OTHGWayne

I thought that inventor was only for mechanical applications and Im more into structural and architectural work. Does it work for this too?

Inventor actually is a mechanical design tool, as it Solid Edge and Solid Works. I must first say I am no expert in the architectural side of 3D modeling, so there are many out there more qualified than I to answer this for you. There are companies that produce products for the architecture industry, AutoDesk has a couple in their Revit and Architecture packages. Bently produces the Microstation product and I believe others all targeting the structural and architectural industries. I am sure there are many others but I simply don't have the experience in the area to say any more than I have. The maechanical stuff I can talk about all day, the architectural side, well you have already heard it all. Good luck.

Hi civeng80,

Inventor actually has some decent tools for doing some structural work, in that you can sketch a skeleton and then apply structural members to the sketch, but, I'm not sure I'd want to tackle an entire building with this. Architectural Desktop (AutoCAD Architecture) is probably best for this application. Autodesk says Revit is the "wave of the future" and the way it looks, it probably always be - meaning it hasn't taken off like Autodesk had hoped it would.

To answer your original question though, AutoCAD actually has some decent tutorials in their help files, start there, and see if fills the need, if you're a structural/archictectural guy, you probably won't need much more.

HTH
Todd

I use the 3D 'Modelling' function in AutoCAD for mechanical plant, which include structural steelwork. the last 2 or so releases of ACAD have really improved the viewing ability and it makes it really easy to use.
Until you have established a block database (accessed most quickly using design centre) the process i would use is:
1. Draw 2d profile of steel member.
2. Use the Region command to make the 2d lines form one object (or region).
3. Use the Extrude, or Revolve commands to create the 3D objects.
4. Items can be modified using the subtract or union commands.
5. After the 3d model has been made, the plan, side and end elevations can be developed using the _solview and _soldraw commands.

Hope this helps to start off.

Autodesk is giving away student versions with 13-month licenses to people who have lost their job due the recession. If this is the same service as the students.autodesk.com community, then you can view tutorials, download manuals and instructor-and-student handbooks and data files for several curricula. These include Revit Architecture curriculum, Civil 3D curricula (civil design and visualization), Revit Structure Building Information Modeling curriculum and Sustainable Design curriculum.

Navisworks is one of the software suites available for download (as is the user guide). This is the best product for generating "technical" walk-throughs, etc. You CAN make them pretty in Navisworks, but by default they're not. The software for "pretty" is 3ds Max.

I think the original question is about walktrough .. as i remember atleast autodesk has introduced a camera motion by path in Inventor 2009, i hope it is in autocad too.
Find and learn that.

With a 3D model, a walkthrough can be done via the ANIPATH command. Draw a spline at the proper elevation and with the desired curvature and assign that spline as the camera path.

From the ANIPATH dialogue the settings wanted can be selected like animation quality and duration of the video.

Be aware that your animation is dependent on your visual styles. The process is also time consuming so the best option is to set up the process right before leaving for the night and allow it to work overnight or on a lunchbreak since the computer will likely be tied up for some time.

Hope this helps.

Can you draw 3D splines in AutoCAD? I remember trying in the context of extruding a solid and it failed miserably, but that could've been the extruding along a spline part. I know 3D polylines in AutoCAD are line-only.

hi:every body
i want to learn autocad civil 3d.could any one guide me ?
moreover is there any link on the web to download the trial version of autocad civil 3d 2006 or earlier versions.

Autodesk has 30-day trial versions of its 2009 software available on the website. Civil 3D 2006 was horribly buggy, unstable and there is no backwards compatibility support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back