Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volf

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2001
US
I'm using AutoCAD 2000 and designing models in 3-D. I'm having a problem plotting a sectional part (from middle of the part, out) of the 3-d object (don't even know if it's possible). What are the steps to be taken to be able to plot a 3-D model from the mid-section out?

Thank you for response

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I am aware you cannot. That is one of the few limiting factors of Autocad. I've been reliably informed that a new package called Pro Engineer can do what you are asking. All the best.

Found out an extra. If you upgrade to Mechanical Desktop this WILL allow you to do what you are after. By creating a workplane down a certain section of your drawing it will provide you with a sectional view. You can also move this view up and down the job to give different aspects of the construct. I use Mechanical Desktop and ACAD 2000 but I have to admit I have not tried the theory myself. This is second hand knowledge.

Volf,

This is possible using the boolean logic of AutoCad 2000. I would make a copy of the model, create a large block with one edge at the midpoint of your part and the remaining block enveloping the half of your model that you do not want to see. Then subtract the block from your model using the subtract command in AutoCad. This is crude but should give you the view you want. Good luck.

LyleTK

hi, you can use the region command
make a cutting plane in the section where you need it
type region to create a solid face and select the plane
(rectangle) , then use interference and select both elements; your part and the region , and type y for yes to creta the interference , now you can move it and have a section of that mechanical part

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back