Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autocad Line Colors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adalius

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2009
US
I've got a copy of ACAD 2010 and I just received a bunch of drawings from another company (somewhere around 10 drawings). In them, they have *all* the dimensions and text blocks (MText) set to yellow. The dimension lines are green but the text is yellow. If I print this in color, you can't read the yellow on white. If I print it in B&W they come out a super pale grey that you still can't read.

Is there an easy way to change them all quickly without having to edit each individual block? I can get the dimension text changed by modifying the style which is easy enough, but some of these have 20+ text blocks. Someone suggested BATTMAN but since these are MTEXT not real blocks they don't show up.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can think of 3 ways to accomplish what you want. (but I'm not sure if the names are the same in ACAD 2010)

1) In the PLOT dialog box that pops up, go to the PLOT DEVICE tab, then edit the PLOT STYLE TABLE (pen assignments). You can tell it to plot the Yellow and Green colors as black. It will make every object drawn as Yellow or Green plot as black.

2) In that same PLOT dialog box, if you select "monochrome" as the PLOT STYLE TABLE name, it will plot everything black. Your's is probably on "grayscale" or something.

3) Right click on one of the offending objects and bring up the PROPERTIES dialog box, then change the color. If you have the "MATCH PROPERTIES" button on your toolbar, click that, then click the object you just changed as the go by (or "source object"), then go around the drawing clicking on the objects you want to change to match it. NOTE: this will change all the PROPERTIES (text height, style, etc.) not just the color. If you don't have the button and don't know how to add it, type "matchprop" on the command line.

Method #2 is the quickest, if you want a B&W plot.

#2 works great. The 2010 menu is a little different though, When you open the plot window, there isn't a 'Plot Device' tab anymore. There is, however, on the bottom right next to 'Help', an arrow button, click that for a fly-out menu, then under Plot Style Table you can select the monochrome.ctb

Thanks!

If you use the "monochrome" plot style it will all be black. You can select one instance of the mtext/dim/etc. and then right-click and choose "select similar" to get the rest before over-riding the color.

monochrome does not always plot dark black. The style Normal combined with various colors may print shades of grey. The style "Style_1" or other can be set up to print all colors as dark black.

If you change just one of the dimension's properties (double click on it) so that the lines, text and arrow's colours are whatever you desire, you should then be able to use the 'Match Properties' buttons (looks like a paint brush and is next to 'Paste' along the top tool bar), with this you select the dimension you changed first and then select all of the other dimensions like you would with any object (if they're on their own layer this is easy, just turn all other layers off). I find this is a better permanent solution if you are going to be printing or editing the drawings again in the future.

In MY 2004 and previous versions:
File
Page Setup
Plot Device folder:
Plot Style Table(pen assignment):acad.ctb
Edit:
Plot sytle table Editor:Highlight all 255 colors
Properties: color black
Save and Close.
When you do a preview all lines and notations will be black.

Do you want to plot all as black or would you like to retain the original color assignments but be able to see the yellow text against the white paper ?

If you're looking to keep the color assignments, you don't need to go to all black, change any dimension properties, or anything of that sort. Simply remap the yellow line color in your drawing to a more visible shade of yellow for your plots. I use color #40 (dark-yellow) as my output pen color for yellow. It "looks" yellow but its visible on white paper. If I want it to stand out a little more, I use color# 30 (orange). Its a simple matter of telling ACAD to use one of those colors (or any you choose, including black) as the output pen color. This is where the ACAD.ctb file comes in. I know you know where to find it, but for others who don't-

Go to the far top-right corner of the PLOT dialog and select "Plot style table pen assignments" , pick the down arrow and select ACAD.ctb. When it appears in the box as the selected choice, click the small icon-box to the immediate right to "edit" your acad.ctb. You'll save-as to another filename, so don't worry-becareful ;). Click on the [YELLOW] and then go to the right and at "Use object's color" click the down arrow and choose the desired output color from the choices provided. You'll have to open the multi-color swatch to find # 30 or #40, but there you go. Save as whatever color ctb file name you think appropriate, and go from there.

BTW- I manage my line weights the same way...

Its really not as complicated as it seems, and really is a way to not have to worry about color assignments. I have standard ACAD.ctb's set for each vendor and fab shop I use, because I found it inappropriate (and unmanageable) to attempt to force compliance to a standard even tho we're the "client" !

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how whatever method you chose worked out for you !

C.F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back