Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD line removal at radiused edges/corners HELP!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizza

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2001
US
I use AutoCAD 3D modeling in the work I do. I want to know if anyone knows how to remove the line that results when you create, say, a radiused corner. This line appears at the transition from the flat surface and the start of the radiused corner. When you go to view your object in a viewport that you've used the "HIDE LINES" option on, you see those annoying lines. They have caused confusion more than once. I can't believe that at 5000 dollars a pop that AutoCAD can't solve that problem. Thanks. (And, no, the DISPSILH command does not apply here).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

deemerfee, I don't see how solprof helps. Then again, I haven't ever used that command. I see where it asks me to removal tangential lines, but when I say yes I see no results. The lines are still there. Also, I don't want to flatten the object onto a 2d plane just to get rid of these lines by erasing them.

Solprof as Deemerfee said, then hide the layer of the object in that viewport. Read and try the options at the command line. Solprof does not flatten the obect on a 2D plane.

I like the idea of knocking Autodesk because I did not take the time to learn how to use it's product.

Flores

smcadman,

I've been using AutoCAD since about rev 1. My point, about knocking it, was that after all of these years of development I don't believe it should be necessary to jump thru a bunch of gymnastics and commands just to remove lines on a fillet. The solid modeling fillet should inherently remove them on its own.

Also, why qwould I want to hide the layer of the objevt in the viewport? If I did that the object gets hidden and you can't see it in the viewport.

Also, I answer the command line questions in solprof and the tangent lines got removed after a while of deleting things. and I ended up with a flattened object (a fake 3d object in the viewport). So you were wrong about solprof not flattening objects.

In this very forum there is a whole discussion on using solprof to flatten objects. I guess even you don't know much about solprof.

Use solprof in an isometric view, and you end up with a 3D object.
1st option: Display hidden profile lines on separate layer? [Yes/No] <Y>
Choose yes
2nd option: Project profile lines onto a plane? [Yes/No] <Y>
Choose no
3rd option: Delete tangential edges? [Yes/No] <Y>
Choose yes.
The outcome is a 3d outline of your object with hidden lines.

If the object you are hiding is on layer &quot;manifold&quot; for example, and you freeze that layer in that viewport, you end up with hidden lines and no tangental lines. (since the hidden profile, etc. is created on a seperate layer)

ACAD HELP quote for 2nd option: &quot;Project profile lines onto a plane? [Yes/No] <Y>: Enter y or n, or press ENTER
Yes
Creates the profile lines with 2D objects. AutoCAD projects the 3D profile onto a plane normal to the viewing direction and passing through the origin of the UCS. AutoCAD cleans up the 2D profile by eliminating lines that are parallel to the viewing direction and by converting arcs and circles that are viewed on edge into lines.
No
Creates the profile lines with 3D objects.&quot;

Flores

Pizza dude,
The &quot;solprof&quot; command makes a &quot;FLAT 2D COPY&quot; of your model and overlays its on your 3D model.

I believe the intent of the advice was to quickly produce a copy of your model so you can editted it as you saw fit.

And I believe &quot;Flores&quot; wanted to add tat you needed to move your 3D object off to the side or something to that effect since the copy &quot;SAT&quot; on top of your model.

I'm sure &quot;Flores&quot; & &quot;Dee MerFee&quot; meant this but were in a rush to help somewhere else. [roll1]

And I'm sure you're just fustrated with things not working out to what you want. [roll2]

Anyway, I believe the main players in this forum all agree that this is your best bet. [angel]

I would also suggest to try ... facetres ... but that might not work too ... [sadeyes]

later guy.
;)

Thanks Flores,

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. It worked. The tangential lines which were my main concern are gone now. But on my simple model that I'm using for experimentation on this problem, a line that should be hidden is now visible. Sigh.

Thanks to everyone for their efforts in helping me out.

pizza

MDT has some powerful routines for paper space and layouts. Doing what you need done in one step is one of them. Makes me want to see if the MDT &quot;.arx&quot; routines will load up in ACAD 2K. I would assume Autodesk has taken steps to prevent users from doing this, but not everything is bulletproof.
Anyone out there tried this yet?

Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back