Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCad LT WMF export problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PUMPDESIGNER

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2001
US
I would like for our office personnel to be able to grab AutoCad drawings from our designers in electrical and mechanical using AutoCad LT (2000 and later) and then export the files as *.wmf files to use in making manuals and marketing stuff.

When we drop that wmf into Microsoft Word the lines are too thin to print properly. Have spent many hours in both AutoCad LT and Word and am finding only long laborius methods to thicken the lines.

Went to Autodesk knowledge base.
If I follow Autodesk's advice I would have to take hours per drawing to re-format in Word as they suggest by selecting one object at a time and thickening the line. I cannot select all the lines at one time (Word will not do that). I have tried everything I can think of in both AutoCad and Word to make the process easy. Grouping, Select All, etc., etc.

Am I missing something? I would be very grateful for a slick easy method, or even a bearable one. Richard Neff
Irrigation Craft

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience with AutoCAD, Word, and .wmf files has not been good. I have found that .tif files are much better behaved. There is a program called Amethyst CADconvert that is quite inexpensive and that directly converts .dwg files on a batch basis into a number of graphics formats, including .tif. The URL tells all about it.

I have found a very simple way to accomplish what you desire: By turning all lines into PLINES, you can then use MPEDIT (Multiple Polyline Edit) and increase the width of all selected lines within AutoCAD. Once this is done, you then export your selected drawing as a .wmf file. Once in Word, adjusting the picture is easier.

Hi richard,

in Your Plotmanager You can find Rasterfileformats. Take the tif-plotter (nit jpeg-plotter), add, and plot in your folder as *.tif. Gratis!! Your papersize is not inches or mm, it's pixel. The quality is ok. It need some training. Then you can import the file into word...

Lothar Win NT4.0 (SP6),
ACAD 2000i (SP2), ADT 3.0 (SP3),
ACAD 2002, ADT 3.3,
OCÈ 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back