Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AutoCAD Plant 3D 2010 Laptop Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwood3

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2010
US
I use AutoCAD Plant 3D and P&ID 2010.....alot. Recently, my job has involved doing as much work out in the field as in the office. I also run programs like HYSYS Compress and several others related to process plants and piping. I'd really like a laptop (i'd just as soon build my own) that was dedicated to just this. Yes, I need internett access too, but not a lot of bells and whistles. Just a heavy-duty "get her done, without instability issues" machine. I've always been a proponent of get as much RAM as you can stand and start with the biggest processor (Intel only for me) you can get hold of. Anybody build (I mean you build it yourself) a laptop with Quadro video and 8 GB RAM....?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I got a Dell Precision M6500, from their Business Outlet for about $2500, it has 8Gb ram(1333), 1Gb Quadro3800, i7(860), and 17"RGB display(1920), wifi(N), about 2.5 to 3 hours run time on batt., built very well, metal casing, you might also want to look into the Alienware laptops.

I've been running Civil 3D on it with no problems and its quiet. Also, run Call of Duty on it, both fans kick in after a little game play, but still quieter than a desktop. I'm very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back