Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AUTOCAD to DEGeditor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatnact

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2006
US
Well I just switched from sw07 to sw07x64 because they got me a new computer and is running windows x64. I no longer have AUTOCAD on my computer and am now using the DWGeditor. All of the old CAD files on my network that I open in DWGeditor open with all of the fractions with two lines, the undo, undo's from some odd point of work. Kind of frustrating anybody know how to help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would call the VAR

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP3.1
PDM Works, Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

My company wants to have nothing AutoDesk. AutoCAD is slowly being faded out even though all of our projects from the past 12 years are all AutoCAD. Some feel like it's a good idea I think we should still keep it around but the boss is the boss.

Convert your old ACAD drawings to SW files and then drawings... I did that at my first job out of College. Bought SW 6 months after I started there, back in 95-96. Spent 4.5 years and got almost 75% of all the files in there... and that was with me doing it only. If you talk to them now... they will tell you that they glad that took that route, because now there is no need for the legacy data other then what was in their books as prints... outside of that its electronic.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

We have been using SolidWorks since 1998. Our management wants to dump AutoCAD, but our cables are still being created in AutoCAD. The drafter doing the drawings does not know how to put them in SolidWorks and I do not have the time to learn and then teach him.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP3.1
PDM Works, Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

gatnact,

That seems a bit silly to me. They have the seats bought and paid for. They do not need to keep paying maintanance and can just stay on the last version of AutoCAD.

We use the DWGEditor as a translator for any newer version of AutoCAD we get from customers and need to open. AutoCAD is still a valuable software package for us. Some jobs just don't pay to transition to SolidWorks or the idiosyncrasies of DWGEditor.

I suppose if they keep AutoCAD on your computers management thinks the old dogs will keep using it as opposed to transitioning to SolidWorks. I can definately understand their thinking there.

Regards,

Anna Wood
SW 2007 SP2.2, WinXP
Dell Precision 380, Pentium D940, 4 Gigs RAM, FX3450

My company wants to have nothing AutoDesk. AutoCAD is slowly being faded out even though all of our projects from the past 12 years are all AutoCAD. Some feel like it's a good idea I think we should still keep it around but the boss is the boss.
I wish more companys would take your approach.....I think DWG editor is more then capable of supporting your legacy data. I use DWG editor to view our legacy with no problems. It is a bit clumsy.

If SWx is offering this free it should frustrate those that actually paid for ACAD....I would feel ripped off.

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

So, yeah. Um, we are still going to get rid of AutoCAD. There are only 3 engineers and 3 draftsmen that have AutoCAD. The only solution I have seen is going to take me 5 years. I guess I better get started.

My company completely switched from AcadR13 to Solidworks back in 2001. I have been using DWGEditor for wiring diagrams and layouts ever since. DWGEditor is more buggy and a little less frendly to use than ACAD but it gets the job done. There definately are some querks to it though.

To answer part of your question on the dimension settings, go to SETTINGS/DIMENSIONS SETTINGS/UNITS and change the FORMAT from FRACTIONAL STACKED to FRACTIONAL. SAVE then Update the Dimensions. DIM>UP>ALL. You may need to teak the settings a bit more as well.

I am using DWGEditor SP2.0 and the Undos work ok.

Chris McLaughlin

So, yeah. Um, we are still going to get rid of AutoCAD. There are only 3 engineers and 3 draftsmen that have AutoCAD. The only solution I have seen is going to take me 5 years. I guess I better get started.
It take a little time to undo the AutoDesk brainwashing but once you get going you will forget about the little querks.

I remember the learning curve for 3D parametric modeling in 1994....it was a vertical line. I would costantly fight with Pro/E's sketcher. I would have constant crashes with SDRC IDEAS drafting setup...I thought becoming proficient with 3D parametic modeling was near impossible. Then came along a SWx corp and they told the world 3D doesn't have to be a nightmare.

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

gatnact,

I can understand not EVER, EVER, EVER wanting to use AutoCAD or DWGEditor. I feel the same way... :)

Wish I could be more helpful on what settings you may need to change to get DWGEditor working better for you. I was never that good with the settings in AutoCAD, let alone DWGEditor.

Good luck in your transition.

Regards,

Anna Wood
SW 2007 SP2.2, WinXP
Dell Precision 380, Pentium D940, 4 Gigs RAM, FX3450

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back