Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

autocad to pro/e conversion, extruding 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristinbear

Jul 23, 2002
US
I have been given the task of converting a drawing from autoCAD (.dwg) to Pro/E and extruding the parts to make a 3D model. I am not sure how to convert from a .dwg to a .prt file, can anyone help? Also, many channels and pipes in the current drawings are just lines with thicknesses. Does anyone have any idea about how to make lines with thicknesses extrudable? They are not simple straight lines, but have curves and varying thicknesses. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am new to Pro/E and I am quite clueless. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're on 2001 you should be OK with the following:
Create a new part
Create an extruded protrusion
In the sketch, pick, Sketch, Data from File
Select the .dwg file
Rotate, scale and place as approriate
Delete off any unwanted sections to get the sketch to regenerate
Complete the feature!

Good luck,

Bruce Jackson

A client would like us to modify his materials on his ProE objects for static prints. We will basically be creating a setting for his objects and materializing them with our 3D apps such as StudioMaxR3, Maya, Lightwave, Bryce, Ulead Cool3D, Amorphium and others. I do not know of a converter for native ProE object files. Does ProE <EXPORT> as .dxf, .vrml(.wrl), .obj, .3ds, .lwo or other 3D formats that I CAN handle in my 3D graphic environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back