Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD users to Solidworks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seghojangan

Industrial
Dec 21, 2013
Dear all,

I am sorry that maybe this is an ordinary question, but I post this on Solidworks forum and a local forum and still no respons. I've been searching the whole week regarding this question on youtube tutorial but stiil no luck - or maybe I still could not find the right directions.

So forgive me if I have to asked this.

I am a autocad user and willing to move to Solidworks or if I still could not get the answers I will try Inventor.

At some online tutorial, also on Youtube, always explained that to works with Solidworks is always starting with creating parts.

But in what I always do in my job as Furniture designer I always starting with sketch - full 2D drawings - 3D and then parts components.

as image below:

cadprocess.jpg

Is Solidworks could do the same way? or there is a similar way?

If so please point me to the correct directions and if possible a tutorial.

Thank you in advanced.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I asked my reseller and it is still not released for januar 2014 and it is delayed again.
My problem with SW is that it stays the same, I mean the principal way of modeling stays the
same. It is still feature based modeling with history like Mike Payne from PTC invented it in the 80's.
He founded Spaceclaim 10 years after Solidworks as he found there was a market for direct modeling.
But spaceclaim is only direct and I want to have both. So there are few options left.
I don't care too much about small differences in Solidworks and I test all new releases, some
are good and some are less good but performance of large section drawing is still the best in SW2005
unlike all the stories about exponential performance improvements in the past. It is easy to test with
a stopwatch and that is the only truth for us. We have made many functions ourself which are customized
for our type of work so we care less about a new UI, all commands are shortcuts anyway or we invoke
them via our own made menus. I don't care about bugs where we can change things ourself but
the problems with Windows scaling can only be fixed by Solidworks and Solidworks should support
modern high resolution monitors. I tested SolidEdge at 200% scaling and there were no visability problems.
Scott I want to be positive about Solidworks as I am one of the first users in 1995 and we have so many
projects, but I have less reason to be positive lately. We have to find more competitive ways of
doing one time designs and I have seen we can do conceptual design much faster with the free
PTC direct modeler. I have seen it at our competitors and it works!

I am waiting already 4 years for direct modeling and as I see how developments
progress I still have to see if it will be a usable direct modeler or full of bugs and
few capability? Other direct modelers are already 5-20 years on the market.
And then the second question how much does it cost? It is free in Solid Edge and Autodesk.
I want to pay many $ for a good modeler as it can save a lot of design costs but paying
for less quality doesn't make sense. I am very curious about DS conceptual but I expect few
of it. The demonstration that they have shown is more like Ironcad and working model from 10 years ago .
But I do understand CATIA has direct modeling but the question is how much CATIA they
put in Solidworks as this is competing directly against CATIA$ which is a much more $product
for DS. Solidworks is the only one that cannot read CATIA files while many others can so that shows
the competing interest.

Richard,

You need to start a new thread because this is off the subject line of seghojangan. I would be glad to reply to the above, but not here.

Kind Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I am a long time solidworks guy.

In solidworks parts are created from sketchs, and features. Parts are put into assemblies or weldments. So your chair would be assembly made from parts. The parts are assembled and arranged in the assembly using feature mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back