Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Autodesk Fraud at SW World 2006??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeInSoCalif

Industrial
Feb 14, 2005
US
First, I hope this post wont be against the rules, im just trying to inform people heading out to Vegas for the conferance.

Upon arriving at my hotel tonight (sat) for the 2006 SW World, I noticed a stage set-up located behind the Imperial Palace. Plastered infront of the Imperial Palace are numerous posters stating: "The Perfectly Engineered Surf Party for Solidworks Users".

So I took a walk out to the stage site to see why I hadnt heard about this event sooner. As I walked up to the fenced off area, there were stage hands still setting up the stage, and they were hanging posters inside the fenced in area that read: "Autodesk Inventor, the best software for Autocad Users".

Now I find it very hard to believe that this is a sanctioned event by Solidworks, and I hope not to many people are duped by the posters.

So sad to see a company that was once so big, resort to such low tactics. I guess this is a sign of Autodesks last gasp for air.

Mike Puckett
Group Leader
Los Angeles/Orange County
Solidworks User Group

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Autodesk Inventor, the best software for Autocad Users".
The best for die-hard Autocad users, not others.
I have ACAD, but I don't consider myself a user. SW is #1 IMO. The only product I like from AutoDesk as much as SolidWorks is 3D Studio Max. AutoDesk is strong and will be around for a while, but Inventor may not.
Wish I was there in SW World. Have fun.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Inventor is about as compatiable with Autocad as Solidworks is. And that's to say that both have to translate it, and both do less than perfect translations.

I've heard that Acad 2007 has changed the file format and encrpytion has gotten tighter. Plus their licensing has changed such to make it illegal for the OpenDWG alliance to access 2007 files. If this turns out to be true, then 2006 may be the last version of Autocad that any other cad program will be able to read.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP3.0 on WinXP SP2

OK, probably shouldn't give a star for being "Valuable", but "AutoCrayola" definitely made me laugh, which helps our soul, right?

"AutoCrayola" [rolf] I LOVE IT!!!!

That's funny! I have always called it "AutoCr*p".
I have seen very little of ACAD 07. From what I have seen and heard, it is quite different.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

I collect quotes. I think this thread is deserving of its useage. As always giving credit where credit is due.

TheTick said:
Tick's golden rule of business anthropology: Bull$**t persists because it is allowed to persist.

[lol]

Hey,

Didn't AutoDesk acquire SolidDynamics?
The stand-alone, CATIA, and SolidWorks versions will be discontinued. Those on support contracts will be supported until they run out.

... CATIA, and SolidWorks versions will be discontinued.

mmmmmmmm ?????????????? Is that rumor coming out from AutoCAD ??

The hell will freeze up before Dassault Systemes discontinues CATIA or SW.

You think Pratt&Whitney Canada, Boeing, Airbus, Daimler-Benz, BMW, Volvo, Freightliner just to name a few will be left hi and dry ?

Last year they had the Orlando Airport completely plastered with ads for a website of theirs that tried to lure you from SW. I also got a number of handouts with the website address on it (don't remember exactly where they were passing them out though).

It was a pretty cheesy website.

Windows 2000
P4 2.40 GHz
Video Card -
Manufacturer: NVIDIA Corporation
Card: Quadro4 900 XGL/PCI/SSE2
Driver: 6.14.10.7184

I think you need to reread what fmaldon wrote. He said that the standalone, Catia and SW versions of SOLID DYNAMICS will be discontinued. Now, fmaldon may be wrong, but I got this off the web, so I think he is owed an apology.

No future for non-Autodesk versions of the software: "Since this is a technology acquisition Solid Dynamics products will not be maintained or sold in the future. Instead, the technology will be integrated into future releases of Autodesk Inventor Professional. At the same time, we will support those customers that have support requirements according to all existing obligations."

Translation: the stand-alone, CATIA, and SolidWorks versions will be discontinued. Those on support contracts will be supported until they run out.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back