Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automated wrapping pointers needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfbag

Industrial
Aug 27, 2003
US
Hi,
I'm looking at automating a currently manual process whereby a (delicate) cylindrical component (diam ~40mm) is wrapped in an easily flexible sheet ~1mm thick. Good alignment of the sheet edges and cylinder ends is essential, and there's no over-wrap. Some vendors I've spoken to think this is a big deal, but I can't see that its that difficult...has anyone got any pointers on what sort of system could be used? I'm thinking small rollers each end that the assembly could be pushed through in the wrap, then gripping it when wrapped to keep it all in place. Maybe I'm way off...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wolfbag;

Your description is kind of skimpy on details. Can you see through the wrapping material, etc?

I'd start out looking at focused photoelectric sensors, either laser or a fine fiberoptic cable to locate cylinder and wrapper edges.

A little more sophisticated and flexible approach to this problem would be a vision system, probably a linear array system. They can locate edges of fairly low contrast.

Honeywell MICRO SWICH used to have a Visitronics Group located in Denver, CO but unloaded them a few years ago. Sorry I can't point you in a more accurate direction.

Here's a place to start looking. Good Luck

John Casey
Abington, MA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back