Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic or implied relations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnie4

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2005
US
I have a problem with several models I have drawn. I creates the sketch with Automatic relations on and it has define the center of an arc coincident with a line that it shouldn't be. The sketches I did with Automatic relations turned off do not have this problem. I need to define the arc by three points along the arc and not the center. I have deleted all relations shown when I select this arc but the center point stays coincident to the line. Any suggestions and what I can look for?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This may seem simplistic, but try selecting the center point of the arc and delete the coincident relationship. Selecting the arc and selecting the arc center point are two different things.

Timelord

Well I have tried to but the problem is it lies on the midpoint of the line. I even tried removing all relations from both the arc and the line and they seem tied by some other rule that I can't find.

As Timelord suggested, you need to delete the relationship between the center of the arc and the midpoint of the line. But as you have found sometimes it can be difficult to select that arc center or midpoint. Here are two possible solutions:

1) Right click on the arc center / midpoint and choose select other. This should let you pick the arc center to display / modify its relations. I think this might have been a new feature in one of the last two releases, so depending on your version, it might not be available.

2) While editing the sketch you can toggle on and off display of relations. The default toolbars have an icon for this. When relations are displayed they appear as little icons. A relation can then be selected by clicking on its icon.

Eric

Vinnie,
Once in a while I run into the same problem with relations and overlapping sketch entities. The simplest solution is to click on the Display/Delete Relations icon (it looks like a perpendicular symbol with a pair of eyeglasses on it; or go to Tools->Relations->Display/Delete) and then select All In This Sketch. A list of all relations in the sketch will appear in the properties dialog box. Find the offending relation in the list and delete it. This handy tool also works well for finding those dangling and over defined relations in complex sketches.

Matt
SW06 sp2
Dual 3GB Xeon, 3.5GB RAM
ATI FireGL Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back