Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic parameter adjustment to match some criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelkSA

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2013
ZA
I am using NX9.

I want a body to have a certain prescribed volume by automatically adjusting some parameter.

Is this possible?

I suspect it might have something to do with the 'Requirements' function in parameters? But I am not sure how to implement it.

------------------------------------------
Here's looking at you, looking at me, looking at you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not really. Requirements are used to provide feedback when certain criteria has been met or exceeded but it can't be used to force the system to update in some manner, like to maintain a constant volume. What you need is to use a tool that can perform iterative tasks like the goal seek feature in the Modeling Spreadsheet or the Optimization Wizard (which is an extra cost module). To see if you have this license simply enter the term 'Optimization' in the command finder and see if you can open the dialog. If you don't have the Optimization Wizard licence you could still do a spreadsheet goal seek since that only requires that you have a Modeling license.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thank you.

I believe the spreadsheet goal seek method will work the easiest.

Is the spreadsheet function you are talking about the one you access through 'Expressions'? Because I think a normal excel spreadsheet can only update an excel function through goal seek, or will it be able to go back and forth between NX and excel to reevaluate the volume after every iteration?

Attached is another example closer to what you're looking for. It demonstrates how to use the built-in Modeling spreadsheet to compute the size of a 'Beer Glass' based on how much beer you wish it to hold.

Open the file and then go to Tools -> Spreadsheet. When the spreadsheet opens resize the Excel window so that you can see the two views of the beer glass. Now you'll see a series of cells with parameters which you can set to different values to control the 'features' of the glass, as seen in the upper view of the model on the NX display. Ultimately the spreadsheet will determine how tall a glass needs to be to hold whatever amount to enter in the 'Desired Capacity' cell. OK, once you've set your desired values, go to the Excel ribbon and select the 'Add-Ins' tab and then select 'Goal Seek' and then hit OK and you can watch the model update and iterate until the Desired Capacity is achieved.

Anyway, the part file is attached below and it will work with NX 7.5 and newer versions.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=819590d5-0adb-4ca3-b6ab-ed96dcfaaa2e&file=Beer_glass_demo.prt
Thank you Mr Baker, that is a very cool demonstration of the functionality.

I managed to solve my problem using that approach as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back