Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Automatically creates different of gear 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersi

Automotive
Feb 3, 2011
HK
I used 2009 version and I know there was a toolbox gear function that I can create gear with just a few clicks by selection module, pitch.........

Now I'm using 2010 and sometimes 2011 version, it seems there is no this function available. Is this gear creating function hidden in somewhere? How can I bring this function again thanks..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All I see in 2009 are some spur gears within the toolbox section of the design library. It is not in the toolbox drop down menu at the top. When you drop it into an assembly (same way as a toolbox fastener) the parameters are listed on the left in the manager.

It is there in 2010 also.
Toolbox> Ansi Inch> Power Transmission> Gears.

I am assuming you have other toolbox libraries... just not gears.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

If I understand what you're meaning, I am able to create gears thru the toolbox with 2010/2011

If you configure your toolbox, is the "Power Transmission" folder checked in the "select your hardware" area? Past that, is the gears folder checked?

The options that I have are Helical, Internal Spur, Rack, Spur, Straight Bevel, and Straight Miter.

kellnerp, geartrax is an excellent piece of software, and recommend petersi looking into buying a seat if he creates a lot of gearing.

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2010 SP 5.0
Dell T5500 XP Pro SP 3 (32-bit)
Xeon CPU 2.53 GHz 3.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro 4000 2 GB
3D Connexion-SpaceExplorer

Toolbox is a great tool, but to quote Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations." The gears in TB are reasonable approximations, but they do not have involute profiles. We typically do not need the computationally intensive detail of the helical thread nor of the involute profile for the gear. However, there are times we do need that detail for one reason or another and ToolBox gears might not have what you need.

GearTrax is a great product. I do not have it anymore, but did have it at another company years ago. It makes true involute gears with all the AGMA notes and details. ToolBox merely gives a reasonable representation of a gear.

Forewarned is forearmed. Just look at Popeye!

- - -Updraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back