Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automating measurement of solide model 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maldonja

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2010
US
I need to extract dimensions from solid model (distances, diameters, angles, etc.) for several similar features and I would like to automate the process. NX6 Macro and Journal features don't give me the funcionality I need. What is my best option? Knowledge Fusion? VB? other? Also, any good reference with examples? NX6 help doesn't have much about scripting and automation.

Thanks,

Jaime

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I want to get them out of the NX6 model into a spreadsheet. The features are holes through a solid and I have hundreds of them. The dimensions i need are lengths of the holes, diameter, angles relative to a face.

Hi,

I think that he wants to take, all the dimension of the workpiece in the the 3D model not in the drafting.

It can be done manually, but I think that he want's more an automatized way...

Maybe some C++ code and linked with a jounal...

I don't know.

Thanks.

Thanks for rephrasing berri. Thant's what i want to do.

I've been getting all dimensions by going to Analysis>Measure Distance, selecting what I want and then copy/paste the values to a spreadsheet. One or two is not bad, but I have too many features to do this.

A script that automates the process will be great.

Thanks

If you can place a view of your part on a Drawing, you could also try using...

Insert -> Table -> Hole Table...

It may not cover all that you're looking for, but it might come very close. Along that line, once the Hole Table note is created, if you select it and press MB3 you will find an option which will export the content of the table to a Spreadsheet where you could format the data the way you wish as well as add anything else you need.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi maldonja,

Hole table is only available on NX mold module,

you need the license...

and of course on drafting site, is the table.

So I think he want on 3D view take all the dimensions.

I think that the best option is, go to user expresión,

there you can have all the expressions of the workpiece.

You can exprot these expresions to an excel file...

I load a photo it is in Spanish sorry...

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=37d63b53-0aa0-4d9b-9406-91bf375c6c97&file=Untitled-2.jpg
That's not quite true. As of NX 6.0, the Hole Table was added to NX Drafting as an enhancement, but it does require that you set the environment variable first:

UGII_DRAFTING_HOLE_TABLE=1

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back