Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automating parts, where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeMoss

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2006
US
Alright, I am looking for answers at the 30,000 feet level (aka no lines of code!).

Here is what I am trying to do. We have a basic part, different styles of window grids. Each style of grid fits in infinite different sized windows. The goal is to be able to take customer data on the window size and their requested grid style and give them a visual on what the combination will look like (either a print or a web based viewer). Each grid style has a master part file (made up mostly of weldments) and master print. The data can be taken directly out of our order entry system (stored in a database).

I am an engineer, only basic knowledge of programming. I have access to a programmer, but he does not know much about SW.

My question is where to start, Macro's, API, VB, Design Tables, etc? What should I focus on to get this job done? Anyone have similar examples that don't involve 30,000 part assemblies (God bless you guys...)?

It seems so simple, but I am kind of stuck on where to go now that I have the models done.

Thanks!
Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not understanding the question. What do mean the window size and grid style? What data do you need from the part/assy?

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Sorry, our product is replacement windows (your house, not your computer!). Ever noticed the different grids that you see in house windows (some are like a sunburst at the top), that is what we are trying to visualize. Some grid designs look better on short fat windows, some look better on tall skinny ones, but the customer only has a paper catalog to pick from. So we are looking to get the customer a real world look at what they are getting.

So we just need to input window size data and use the style number to call up the appropriate template. At that point the model should update to the new data (window size and custom grid locations if applicable), and create a print. I would assume that I would also save both files (part and drawing) to a unigue file name (order number or something like that.

Does that help?

Thanks
joe

Oh! I thought you meant MS Windows stuff. :)
I would use config's and DT's. Create basic model templates for each style and DT's to change the # of grids and sizes.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 06
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

The model stuff I can get, but I don't know the side of getting the data from the order system or the automation side of it.

Joe

What sort of data do you want to extract from SW? If you just want a picture to show, you can have it create a DPF or eDrawing for sending and viewing for free. Adobe now has a 3D viewer that works well.
I would create a macro to auto save to eDrawings and send. There may be a macro already created to download.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 06
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Joe ... do you want the client to be able to customise the design of the grid (infinitely variable) via a web browser or simply choose from pre-determined selections?

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

There are some variables such as the window size that is infinite, but the grid styles are from a catalog. The customer can change the locations but thats about it. For example: A standard grid might have two vertical bars and two horizontal bars (tic-tac-toe board). The default is to have them all evenly spaced, but the customer has the ability to specify the vertical and horizontal locations if they want to (they might need to match it to another window next to it or something like that). The default might have the first vertical at 12" in and the next one 24" (we call those VP1 and VP2). The customer might want the first one 6" in and the next one at 30".

I like the macro to save the edrawing, that is the kind of stuff I am looking for.

Thanks,
Joe

I have the express version of driveworks, I have been having problems getting it to work. They are helping me out, but I just started playing with it last weekend.

It might be a bit overkill for what we are doing. I think what I am trying to do is pretty simple, I just need the right direction.

thanks
Joe

Design tables and configurations like someone else mentioned should be able to do this. As far the customer or sales person in putting the data and having the design update itself. I think you will need to write some sort of macro feature that pops up a dialog and asks for input in specific fields. These fields then control desing table parameters and drive the model. This data input link will have to be some code written to interface with SW.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 2/22/06)
SW 2006 SP 3.0

First off, thanks for all the responses.

Rob, If I use a macro to prompt the input, I will need a seat of SW for each of my customer service people, correct? (or at least a shared seat)

I think I am looking to take the data from the existing database and build the models and save off the prints. I will work on a user interface later. Would this just require a VB program to go out and grab the data out of the database and dump it into a design table? At that point fire a macro that will save the edrawing under a specific name?

It all seems so simple until I try to do it!

Thanks
Joe

I think he is just taking the customer's data, creating the models, then sending them a pic or file to display what they will get. I don't think he wants the customer to change it. Am I correct Joe?

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 06
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Chris,
At this point, yes you are correct. I would like to do a web based project down the road, but at this point I just want to take existing data and create a picture.

Thanks for simplifying it!

Joe

Yes, unless you can find a way for them to input the info into a spreadsheet and then transfer that information to someone with a seat of SW.

Your design table will be set up in Excel (I assume) so all you really need is some sort of programming to extract the data and populate the correct design table cells. ThenSW will do the rest of the work for you as far as creating configurations. Yo umay have to creat the drawings manually?? Not sure. it may also be possibel to do this and the e-drawings with a macro. SolidWorks Task Scheduler might be able to help you here.

I'm not sure I can give you the exact steps to achieve your goal but I see no reason why you couldn't make this work.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 2/22/06)
SW 2006 SP 3.0

Hey Joe
Why not use the SQL query to populate the DT? It was pretty simple idea at the start. The grid formula is in the DT and the query would trigger the VB parser to sort units by grid code them open ech different grid part then create the units,as configurations, for that pattern. It would next trigger the SW macro to open drawing, print, and pdf the unit then after all configs are processed exit the part and move on to the next. This way the query results for each schedule can be archived as a text file and the DT or drive works database wont end up with 1,000,000 entries after 4 months. This is simply create a list sorting be pattern then populating a few DT Rows. For the instances you do not use custom locations or where VP1 = 0 ir is blank just point to you standard calucaltions row i.e. =d:5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back