Automation project help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sluggo

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2000
US
Greetings;

We're a custom molder attempting to automate a secondary operation that applies hot melt glue to the inside of a plastic tube we mold. We currently rotate the tube with a fixed glue head but think it might be beeter to fix the tube and rotate the glue head. I'm looking for automation folks to help design and build this system

God Bless
Sluggo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used things like Paashe air brushes to apply glue(not hot). I work for Advanced Grinding and Machine who has built machines that apply hot melt glue.
Bob webmaster@advanced-grinding.com

sluggo,
One positive aspect of your current method (rotating tube fixed glue head) is that you won't get repetitive stress on the feed tube and other components of the glue head. If it was rotating, you might need a rotating fitting, which are notorious leakers. Unless your tube is especially delicate or its sizing is variable, why wouldn't you want to rotate it?

Oh, one more thing about a rotating tube - if your glue head remains in one orientation, there should be a fairly constant gravitational distortion of the glue stream at a given distance from the glue head, which may enhance process repeatability. And if you did rotate the glue head upside down, would your glue even stick to the "roof" of the tube?

You may want to rethink rotating the glue head. Not only am I familiar w/ the hot glue equipment, but also the price. The more rotation or wear you put on the gun/hose the greater the potential for premature failure. By custom fabricating an extension or an entire gun, you are pitting your production on this one-of-a-kind piece.

I've seen a similar application where the dispense nozzle was mounted to the edge of pinion of a rack and pinion actuator. The rack was moved by a pneumatic actuator. The pinion would rotate and the nozzle would rotate in a circular pattern around the part.

The only drawbacks to this approach is the lack of speed control, I'm not sure how forgiving your process is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back