Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Automative Fiberglass Headlight Housing Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMOE

Materials
Sep 22, 2010
US
Hi all, this is my first post here, great resource...

My question is: what are my possible options if I wanted to fabricate an auto headlight housing ( minus the lens ) from a fiberglass based material ( focusing on filler and heat / UV properties. I am currently constructing a plaser mould.

Thank you in advance.
PS. I did search but with very limited results.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of production volume? What's the application?

What are you going to do about the reflector, whose shape is extremely critical and has to be engineered in a very precise way?

What are you going to do about up/down adjustment?

If it's for a street vehicle, what are you going to do about compliance with applicable standards - and speaking of which, does it need to meet ECE or DOT or both?

Thank you Brian, CoryPad and Compositepro for your responses. Regarding Brian's questions: The volume is exteremly low 75-125 units. The plan is to have a pre-made suspended deflector to be mounted infront of the housing assy. using 3 adj'ble mounting pods. system would be for stricly off-road applications.

CoryPad: Very interesting material... Exact qualities I am looking for. But regarding the molding processes. Is there a low pressure, or room temp set polyester resin to subsitute the thermonset one without jeopradizing the properties ( at least heat resistance. ) ? Thank you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back