Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

automobile starter motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plats

Electrical
Jan 21, 2003
US
IS THIS AN APPROPRIATE QUESTION FOR THIS FORUM? Do you have information, experience, or suggestions regarding using starter motors from trucks and cars under continuous operating conditions? My hopes are to use a low cost motor to power my boat. My question is how much can I load a motor without it overheating. How much additional HP can I expect by having the case wrapped with copper tubing and circulate cold water to keep the case cool? What is a good RPM to have them run for best efficiency? I plan on using PWM to keep in the wanted power and speed curves. If I build my own controller, what is the best method to use for speed and power control? Should the field be kept alive constantly and pulse the armature, operate in pulse mode with a series wound motor, or ????? If you don’t have information and or thoughts along this line, any idea where I can go on the net and find people who might have interest in this method of using motors? Thanks for any and all ideas, suggestions, or just comments, Bernie

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your going to use two motors then you will still have to think about synchronizing the speed of the motors. This will be based on whether your going to use one PWM source or two, etc. Given the differences in the motors, drive system etc, it may be difficult to control without an attempt at sychronizing the speed. Something to think about.

I am user from 1996 of small low price SMB12 trolling motor (aprox. 1/5HP, 12lb thrust max.), 12V, 3-blade propeller 128mm dia, ~72mm pitch, Low Speed 3390 RPM/5Amp, and High Speed 3580 RPM/12Amp, mount on the light inflatable two person canoe (total load max 200kg/ 450lb).
Now, I want to sell or make stronger trolling motor about 250W, but standard light 250W trolling motor have propeller suitable for 480kg(1100lb) weight boat, max. thrust about 22lb and max. boat speed about 5.5 km/h ~ 3.3 mph (MotorGuide 22, Thruster 2200, see ( I want to use car engine cooling fun, 2-speed DC 12V motor).Can anyone recommend me another propeller, with smaller thrust, about 16lb, and bigger boat speed, maybe about 5mph, suitable for light two person canoe and 250W / 20Amp trolling motor, maybe about 152.4mm ? propeller diameter with max.speed in range about 1500 - 2000rpm ??

Another possible source for inexpensive DC motors and controls is excercise treadmills, typically 1 to 1-1/2HP. I once chased that business with AC drives and motors and could not even get near 1/2 the DC drive and motor price they were using. Most treadmills end up in yard sales after the novelty wears out and can be picked up even cheaper! Yet another industry that uses cheap DC drives and motors is supermarket checkstand belt conveyors. Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

How about using a generator from an older vechicle. Should that not work better than a starter motor. OR even a wiper motor with the gearbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back