Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automobile Vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomirvine

Mechanical
Jun 14, 2000
Do you know of a paper about the variability in natural frequencies of finished automobiles? I can't find any references to it, but I'd like to order it somewhere.

I think it was in the 1990's, and somebody actually tested about 170 similar cars to measure the first few fn's.

Tom Irvine

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd love to see 170 cars worth of data. I haven't seen any non proprietary papers that are more recent than about 1980, when I think Chrysler measured a lot of cars.

At one point Rover used to measure first torsion of every car on the production line! Cheers

Greg Locock

This "might" help...for a theoretical assessment with ~ 10 data points see

"Variability of Interior noise levels in passenger cars"
by L.A. Wood and C.A. Joachim
ImechE 1984 paper C136/84

Tom,
I believe I did read a similar paper many years ago, but this one was comparing the natural frequencies of japanese made cars to north american made cars and highlighted a trend of the north american car makers in following the japanese trend, in producing cars with increasingly higher natural frequencies. I'll search through the archives to see if i can't find the article. If I do I will pass it along...no garantees though, it's been quite awhile since I read this one!
JMacK

Tom

This may help

13. Kompella, M., and Bernhard, R.J., “Measurement of
the Statistical Variation of Structural-Acoustic
Characteristics of Automotive Vehicles.” SAE Noise
and Vibration Conference, 931272, Traverse City,

I am awaiting a copy of this. It will probably be at higher frequencies than first bending etc.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back