Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automotive Alternator Field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TugboatEng

Marine/Ocean
Nov 1, 2015
US
I hope this isn't considered a double post but I'm getting no attention in the automotive group. I'm trying to convert an automotive alternator (slip ring synchronous 3 phase) from 12 volts to 24. I was able to install a 24 volt stator but cannot source a 24v rotor. For industrial applications (100-150kW gen sets) I usually don't have to change the rotor when wiring between high and low voltages so I'm not totally sure what is different in this case. From literature I see that 12 volt alternators have ~4 amps rotor current and 4 ohms resistance. For 24 volt alternators there is ~2.5 amps rotor current and 10 ohms resistance. Would it be reasonable to place a ~6 ohm resistor in series with the field? Should I just run it as is?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In a rotating field synch generator, the rotor provides the flux and you can design to stator to produce any voltage (within practicality) for that flux. So, you can run the 24 V stator without doing anything to the rotor.

Muthu

Tugboat Rotor flux is - as usual - proportional to ampere-turns (amps x turns). The 12v alternator requires 4 A into a 4 ohm rotor winding circuit: let's say 100 turns of some wire size. The winding "space" is the area under the pole head that will restrain the wire from moving into the airgap - which means there's a limit on the number of turns/space available for a given diameter and pole count. You indicate your 24v design uses 2.5 A into a 10 ohm circuit resistance. All else being equal, the 24v rotor uses (4/2.5) x (number of 12v turns), with a correspondingly smaller cross-section ... which ends up being a higher resistance circuit.

If you just push 2.5A thru the 12v rotor winding, you'll only develop 2.5/4 x the flux necessary, which means your alternator will only produce about (2.5/4) x 24 volt = 15 v output. Adding an external resistor to the circuit isn't going to help raise that output voltage. On the other hand, you could regulate on voltage and "push" 4 A thru the rotor winding to develop sufficient flux ... since the winding is already designed for that ... but you'd have some more losses somewhere in the system.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

It sounds like the best option is to use the 12 volt regulator (4 amp capacity) with a voltage divider to half the sensed voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back