Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automotive applications for aluminum foam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

czetu

Automotive
May 20, 2003
CA
Hello all,

I work in a company (Cymat Corp.) that develops manufacturing technologies for aluminum foam. The material can be cast in 2D sheets on a horizontal cast line or in 3D shapes using a modified Low Pressure Casting machine.

Aluminum foam has several interesting properties such as:

- Mechanical energy absorption – crashworthiness
- High stiffness to weight ratio
- Resistance at vibrations and fatigue
- Thermal stability
- Acoustic insulator
- Lightweight

I woud appreciate any suggestions or ideas on specific automotive applications for aluminum foam.

Thank you,

Catalin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi czetu, I have a qestion regarding this product. I am a mold maker, and need a backing structure for an electro-formed mold which is an irregular shaped 2-part shell. It is to be used in a roto-cast application under 500 degree F.
can this material take ..say 50psi of pressure under this
temp?
Thanks,
einzats

Einzats.
Whats wrong with filled epoxies like Devcon, or really turning the amps up to get a faster deposition of copper once you have a good solid cavity.

Regards
pat

How about tank vents and air discharge noise suppressors? Another application that comes to mind: gas tank internals for explosion proofing. I presume that the foam is available open cell.

Einzats,
The aluminum foam that we produce is closed cell and can take 50psi at 500F as long as the foam density is more than 10%, or 2.7g/cc. Hope this helps.

Plasgears,
Thank you for the suggestions. Our foam is closed cell, unlike Duocell which is a different kind of product. We wouldn't be able to cast 3D complex foamed parts in an open shell configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back