Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automotive Brake Fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilhouseW

Mechanical
Jun 24, 2010
US
I'm looking for the dimensions for standard automotive brake fittings, especially the standard size and tolerances for the hole diameter for the fittings/tubing. I'm looking for the range of fittings from -2 through -7 for 42* inverse flare fittings. If you have this information or could point me in the right direction where to find this information I'd apprecaite it. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried searching the SAE website and from what I can tell the standard I'm looking for is J512. The problems I'm running into is first the J512 standard is currently up for review and is unavailable for purchasing, second the older standard seems to reference multiple standards (J513 and J533 from what I can tell... apparently they will all be combined in the new J512 standard). Unfortately I'm not sure which standard contains the information (hole diameter) I'm looking for. This information is for a personal project and currently I can't justify spending $100-150 in standards just to try to find the acceptable hole size range. If someone knows which standard would contain this information I'd be happy to purchase that one standard, otherwise I may just wait until the updated J512 standard is available.

If this were my project, I would just buy one of every size fitting I was contemplating using and measure them myself. Lots cheaper than buying an SAE standard.

Tolerances (in mm) for drilled holes according to SAE J512 are as follows:

drill size tolerance
0.343 thru 4.699 + 0.08 or - 0.05
4.762 thru 6.299 + 0.10 or - 0.05
6.350 thru 19.050 + 0.15 or - 0.08
19.251 thru 25.400 + 0.18 or - 0.10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back