Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avg. Max. Frost Depth in South Carolina 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBell47

Structural
Jan 14, 2004
US
Can anyone tell me the (average) maximum frost depth in the state of South Carolina?

Thank you.
T-Bell47

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have direct knowledge from an engineering standpoint, but having lived here, up-state to coast, for 54 years, I don't think it gets cold enough long enough in any part of the state to actually freeze the ground. Maybe in the mountains? I seriously doubt it in the midlands and surely not along the coast.

DB

deja moo: I've heard that BS before.

International Codes, to comply with the South Carolina Building Codes Council ruling dated May 24, 2000.
See Table R301.2 (1), 2000 IRC - Climatic and Geographic Design Criteria. Lists SC as none, but, contact the local building department for local conditions.

Cheers
Boo1

Concur with blackwed, however assuming a frost depth of 6 inches anywhere in South Carolina is a typical, very conservative assumption.

The state currently uses IBC 2003. If you are considering footing or foundations, frost depth is not really an issue. IBC Section 1805.2, Depth of Footings, states "The minimum depth of footings below the undisturbed ground surface shall be 12 inches"

[reading]

TBell,

I live and work in the upstate of sc, and I agree with SlideRuleEra. Its unlikely that the frost depth penetrates 6 inches anywhere except possibly in the mountains.

As was pointed out in the IBC 2003, the depth required for seismic stability anywhere in sc extends well below the frost line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back