Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

avr for generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of avr?

Are you talking about the voltage regulator furnished with the generator?

If so, what make, size, engine, voltage? 60 hz?

Or are you referring to the AVRs that are commonly used on line power? (say for a computer)
there are several types of these:

ferro-resonant transformer

tap-changers

motor driven variac

"line interacative" ups

Which type, make, model and size?

(are you trying to fix one, or improve it's performance with the generator?)

Schematic Diagrams are available only from the AVR manufacturer, authorized service centers and/or other company or individual involved in sales/services of this product.

Others or I can be of help if you can detail your problem with this AVR. What is the brand, type or model? What is the trouble, no voltage, high voltage, flactuating or unstable?

Are you an end-user, technician, etc?

Don't worry I'm not involve in this business anymore. I hope I can help.

Regards.

I may have misunderstood you. Are you refering to the Schematic Diagram of the entire AVR, just the internal schematic or external wiring?

I would like to build it to run my generator that controls automatically its output voltage.
an avr for generator that is being connected to exciter of dc motor. to provide the necessary output voltage like Basler Have. I really need it, it is to expenssive to buy out here so i decide look for... for 10kva generator 110v-220 60Hz operation. i an a electronic technician i saw avr here that are being sell for about 10,000 to 15,000 that is only made for few hundreds...

Most alternators in the 10kva class are self-excited with a self-contained form of voltage regulation. What problems are you having now? Are you trying to improve or repair the current setup? Do you have access to the brushes supplying the field? If not then you may be stuck with a non-adjustable system.

Normally these small generators provide output that varies with how much load is applied, tight regulation such as you would get from a utility feed requires additional expense. This would include modifying the engine governor and the voltage regulator. Sometimes just starting the biggest loads first and slowly adding the rest will minimize the dips.

Angelotech:

Where are you located?

Building a single AVR for the first time may cost you even higher than buying original or prototype ones and definitely will be time consuming. You will have to design and fabricate the mounting and enclosure, look for the correct heatsink for the SCR's and diodes, and make the pcb.
Also, you may need to do some modifications on the generator (existing AVR or exciter)itself.

Why not ask for estimates and/or get quotations from suppliers to start? Although they may not be too attracted to your needs, you can get better information from them. Explain to them that you need the cheapest model (original/prototype)since you don't have budget that much. But, this will start a new business for them for future bigger projects. And, who knows, you might get what you are asking which is a trade secret...the schematic diagram.

I wish I could help you better.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back