Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AWS and Weld Size 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve003

Industrial
Jul 4, 2012
CA
I have always been under the assumption that weld sizes (especially fillets) on prints are to be considered MINIMUM sizes, unless there is a specific note, etc. stating otherwise. I.e. if the call-out is for a 5mm fillet, an inspector would reject a 4mm fillet but not a 6 or 7mm fillet.

I was having some disagreement with another engineer, and went to the AWS codes to try and find where it states this. Turns out I am having trouble finding a specific clause or section that supports this. I have looked through A2.4 and D1.1. Would anyone have some clauses they would suggest, or let me know if I am way off base. Preferably from AWS codes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

5.14 is for minimum fillet welds, not for providing oversized welds. Provided the proper welds profile and quality is maintained, I am not aware of any issue with providing increased fillet weld sizes. Quite often 5/16 fillet welds are provided for 3/16 or 1/4 fillets (sorry my brain works in US units). These can all be provided as single pass welds depending on the electrode diameter. I don't know why anyone would choose to make a multiple pass weld unnecessarily. Unbalanced welds, unequal weld lengths, or excessive weld returns may have other structural implications.

Look at Table 6.1 for visual acceptance criteria. Depending on the edition of D1.1 you are using, the criteria allows the weld to be undersized a certain amount for a certain length or percentage of the overall length of the weld.

The criteria listed in the 2010 edition is more liberal than in previous editions.

Best regards - Al

And notice the lack of any rejection criteria in Table 6.1 for 'oversize' welds. Barring a specific call-out from the Engineer-of-Record, there is no limit on 'oversize'.

Steve,
Hope this helps

C5.13 Conformance with Design
Either or both legs of fillet welds may be oversized
without correction, provided the excess does not interfere
with satisfactory end use of a member. Attempts to
remove excess material from oversized welds serve no
purpose. Adequacy of throat dimension and conformance
to the weld profiles of 5.4 should be the only acceptance
criteria

Regards,
Kiwi

In D1.1:

Table 6.1 for allowable under size of fillet welds.

Maximum size requirements for fillet welds:

Table 3.7 (maximum single pass fillet weld size for prequalified WPS)

and:

2.4.2.8, 2.4.2.9

Thanks everyone for your help.

One of my colleagues actually found the clause I was looking for.

5.13 Conformance with Design
The sizes and lengths of welds shall be no less than those specified by the design requirements and detail drawings, except as allowed in Table 6.1. The location of welds shall not be changed without approval of the Engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back