Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AWS D1.1 - FILLET WELD BREAK TEST

ThaiVu

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2024
VN
Hi Engineers/Experts

I am a technician in the field of material testing. I had a small discussion of Fillet Weld Break Test with my colleagues. According to 6.23.4. - Acceptance Criteria for Fillet Weld Break Test, "The fillet weld, if fractured, has a fracture surface showing complete fusion to the root of the joint with no inclusion or porosity larger than 3/32 in [2.5 mm] in greatest dimension", that means the fracture surface is limited at root of the joint (not root of weld or root of fusion). Is it correct? If this is correct, I JUST perform an assessment on the fracture sureface limited at root of the joint?

Actually, we had some test pieces of Fillet Weld Break Test showing porosity larger than 2.5 mm in the greatest dimension at the root of weld (not root of joint).
- Is it pass or fail?
- If some of them stretch out the root of joint (I mean that it start at root of weld and stretch out the root of joint) with the greatest dimension laeger than 2.5 mm, is it pass or fail?

I am so grateful for your help. Thanh you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ThaiVu,
Your questions are a bit confusing but evaluation of a Break Test is pretty basic.
Any straight (unfused) edges in the exposed broken weld - fail.
Any inclusion or porosity larger than 3/32 in [2.5 mm] in greatest dimension in the exposed broken weld - fail.
Hope that helps.

Hi DekDee,
I appreciate your help. But what is the exposed broken exactly? Does it begin at the root of joint or the root of weld? "Any inclusion or porosity larger than 3/32 in [2.5 mm] in greatest dimension in the exposed broken weld - fail" - I think you meant that it starts from the root of weld. But in my opinion, the statement of AWS D1.1 as "The fillet weld, if fractured, has a fracture surface showing complete fusion to the root of the joint with no inclusion or porosity larger than 3/32 in [2.5 mm] in greatest dimension" means the fracture surface is limited at the root of joint, not root of weld.
I wish I could have more advice from engineers/experts to be clear about this problem

I concur with DekDee.

The T-joint is comprised of two plates cut with a saw so that the butting edge seats tight against the nonbutting member, i.e., you don't want to use a rolled edge with a radius against the nonbutting member. When the weld is loaded so the root of the weld is loaded in tension, the fracture typically will initiate at the weld root and finally fracture just slightly to one side of the throat of the fillet weld. If one can see a sharp edge where the two plates touch in the joint root, there is less than complete fusion to the root and it fails.

Best regards - Al

Dear gtaw,

Thank you for your comments. For the lack of fusion, I am clear. But I am confused about the inclusion or porosity which occurred at the root of weld (not root of joint).
Actually, I had some test pieces of Fillet Weld Break Test showing porosity larger than 2.5 mm in the greatest dimension at the root of weld (not root of joint) and I didn't see any a sharp edge.
- Is it pass or fail?
- If some of them stretch out the root of joint (I mean that it start at root of weld and stretch out the root of joint) with the greatest dimension larger than 2.5 mm, is it pass or fail?

I am so grateful for your help. Thanh you!

ThaiVu,
I will try again.
One plate vertical, one plate horizontal.
Forget about root of weld or root of joint - we will talk about the junction of two plates.
If you have 100% penetration at the junction for 100% of the length of the plate when broken there will be no straight edges. - Pass
If you have lack of or incomplete penetration then straight edges will be evident on the vertical plate - Fail

When the break is complete the break will either be through the weld or more commonly the weld will rip out of the top or bottom plates.
Now, all of the exposed weld is to be sentenced. Any porosity greater than 2.5 mm anywhere in the exposed weld is a Fail.
Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Shane

Hello ThaiVu;

The applicable clauses in AWS D1.1:2020 are:
Clause 6.10.1 for the visual examination of the completed fillet weld. Paraphrased: no cracks, no unfilled craters, weld size must be at least 5/16-inch (8 mm), weld convexity (profile) in accordance with figure 7.4, undercut no greater than 1 mm.
Clause 6.23.4.
Clause 6.23.4.1 completed weld shall exhibit no overlap, no cracks, no undercut greater than 1 mm, no visible porosity on the weld surface. The fractured surface is acceptable is the specimen bends flat upon itself or the fracture surface shows complete fusion to the root (no evidence of the square corner of the nonbutting member), no inclusion or porosity larger than 2.5 mm in any direction (axis), and the sum of all discontinuities (porosity, slag inclusions, etc.) is no more than 10 mm in the full 150 mm of weld length.

it appear DikDee and I are singing from the same sheet of music.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Best regards - Al

Back