Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AWS D1.1, Guided bend tests for PROCEDURE qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.

M249Gunner

Military
Nov 15, 2010
US
Can anyone tell me where in AWS D1.1 it clarifies whether I should be bending to test "Longitudinal" face and root bends or "Transverse" (See Fig. 4.11) face and root bends for weld procedure qualification? The way it is written, it appears that I need to do both. However, any testing documents I've ever seen show only four (4) areas or spaces to record results. This implies that 2 root bends and 2 face bends (as well as the 2 tensile specimans) come from one test plate. That leads me to believe that it either comes from the "Longitudinal" bends OR the "Transverse" bends; not both.
Again, can anyone tell me where it clarifies which one to use (or both if that's the case)for procedure qualification? BTW...my base material is .187" thick, AISI steel.
Thanks,
M249Gunner

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Longitudinal bends are typically used when welding dissimilar metals that have mechanical properties that differ by a large amount.

D1.1 requires four bend tests. The bend tests are either four transverse bends (2 face and 2 root bends or 4 side bends)or you can do longitudinal bends if welding dissimilar metals.

As you observed, all the mechanical specimens (4-bends and 2 reduced section tensile tests) are taken from the single test coupon that passed volumetric NDT.

Note that AISI steels typically do not have published mechanical properties. The mechanical properties can vary from one lot to another due to differences in rolling practices and variations in chemistry. That is why there are no AISI steels listed in AWS, ASME, or military welding standards. It is not recommended to use AISI steels for anything than secondary members or nonload carrying items.

If you are welding to the requirements of Ground Combat Vehicle Welding Code - Steel 12479550, note there are no AISI steels listed. The inclusion of the Unified Numbering System designation along with the ASTM, ABS, or API designation does not mean the AISI base metal is equivalent or can be substituted for the former.

Best regards - Al

gtaw,
Good point! Actually I am using steel certified to an ASTM spec. Not sure why I listed AISI in my post. Thanks anyway. Very good observation.
Thanks,
M249Gunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back