AWS D1.1 Welder qualification for European Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joaquingh91

Industrial
Feb 19, 2018
IL
Dear All,

Im between two companies fighting for this issue and I hope some of you could help me.

I am working in a container crane upgrade. According to client specification AWS D1.1 is mandatory for all the welding works.

We are using WPS and PQR qualified for S355 J2G3 steel.

The NDT company that made our subcontractor welders qualification claim that they cant qualify the welders for S355 J2G3 because it is not considered in the last review of the AWS.

According to our subcontracted welding engineer in Spain there is no problem with this also we qualified our own welders for this material. According to him for the qualification of the welder there is no limitation in the material used in the coupons if it is similar to the one that want to be qualified, because this qualification is not about weldability or compatibily of the materials, it is about the welder skills.

Right now I am afraid I will have some comment from the client regarding this issue and Im not sure which of the companies to belive.

Could you bring me some light in this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Base material specification is not a welder performance qualification essential variable per AWS D1.1. Your welding engineer is correct.

The Engineer, representing the Owner, is the individual authorized to make decisions regarding the design, fabrication, erection, and inspection per AWS D1.1. Only he has the authority to change, modify, delete, or supplement the requirements of the code.

If the Engineer (note the capitalization) approves of the use of an unlisted steel, he can do so. If the Engineer deems the unlisted material approved because it is similar to one listed by AWS D1.1, he can do so.

If the Engineer says it is permitted to qualify the welders to a different standard using material that is not listed by AWS D1.1, it is permissible.

If the Engineer says no welding permitted on odd hours or on days that start with the letter "T", so it is.

Best regards - Al

Al,
Please correct me if I am wrong here - you are the guru when it comes to AWS D1.1.

If, and this is a big if - the Engineer has approved the use of an unlisted base metal as per Clause 4.8.3 for PQR/WPS then IMHO there should be no issue with using that same unlisted base metal for welder qualification without any specific authorisation from the Engineer.

I am working in a container crane upgrade. According to client specification AWS D1.1 is mandatory for all the welding works.

We are using WPS and PQR qualified for S355 J2G3 steel.

However, if Engineers approval has not been granted for using an unlisted base metal then the problems are a lot bigger than just welder qualification.

Your thoughts ?
Cheers,
Shane

I agree with you up to a point. The Engineer's blessing is bounded by the project for which he approved the unlisted base metal, approved the WPS, etc. I agree the welders can be tested for that project using the unlisted base metal once the Engineer blesses the WPS. However the qualifications are only valid for that project under that Engineer's authority. It does not extend to other project, a different owner, or a different Engineer.

The truth be told, the unlisted base metal may be superior to the one's approved by AWS D1.1, but the Engineer has to make the necessary evaluation and be comfortable with the substitution. There would be no reason a different Engineer on a different project would be inclined to accept the unlisted material, WPS, or welder qualifications if the project specification refers to AWS D1.1.

Best regards - Al

Thanks to all for your comments!

To clarify a little bit more.

Because this project is a modification of an existing crane the material used is according to the original drawings of the manufacturer. All material and drawings have been already reviewed and approved by the client engineer. We can say that the material is "provided" by the client (also they required to use European steels).

So as I understand the situation right now is as follow:

The client accepted the used of the unlisted material.
WPS is qualified
Welder certification can be provided for any listed material and the material approved by the client which WPS qualification is completed. (no matter what material was used in the coupongs.

Again thanks to all for your help,

joaquingh91,
Time to look for another NDT company.
The one you are using do not have a clue what they are doing - and probably charging you big dollars to tell you that you can't do something.

Just as a point of interest - why are you using an NDT company to qualify your welders ?
Regards,
Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back