Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AWS D1.2 Welder Qualification TIG 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElronMcK

Structural
Oct 2, 2020
US
I am trying to get certified in TIG aluminum 6061 3G per D1.2 4043, up to 3/8" or 1/4" thick plate, and I am looking for guidance. I am trying to diversify my credentials for more job options.

[I am a steel guy and am certified 3G D1.1. Not ASME. Almost everyone I know is a steel guy. Aluminum structural welding is rare in my world, but occasional happens, usually not be a certified alum welder. I am semi-confident welding 60xx, but don't personally know a D1.2 certified aluminum welder - they must be in different industries (aerospace?). This question is not for steel guys.]

1. If I want to be certified for up to 3/8" 6061 plate, then I need to test on 3/16" thick plate, I think. From the D1.2 figures, it appears that the test plate surface would need to be milled down to 1/8" after welding, then cut the coupon strips, then bend test.
a. prep plates and fit up
b. weld plate in 60 degree V joint
c. visual inspection by CWI
d. mill 3/16" thk plate down to 1/8" (this is the unusual part for me)
e. cut 1.5" wide strips
f. face and root bend tests

Am I understanding this right?

2. I might just go with 1/8" thick test plate and butt joint (to be qualified for up to 1/4" thick plate). Post-milling not required. I can get near perfect penetration welding from one side only with a no-gap butt joint. However, I nervous about failing the bend test without a double sided weld. Is there any problem welding from one side, grinding the backside, then final pass on backside?

3. If I pass 1/8" groove test, I am certified for any thickness fillet weld?

I'm not getting much guidance from the CWI either. He's also a steel guy.
AWS_D1.2_Fig_3.25_zvplfz.jpg

AWS_D1.2_Table_3.8_vkeyoa.jpg

AWS_D1.2_Fig_3.11_ykf7bf.jpg

*I previously posted this on the Welding, Bonding & Fastening Forum, but got zero responses, so I removed and re-directed here*

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First step: you have to qualify the WPS.

Second step: The welder that welded the test coupon in the effort to qualify the WPS is automatically qualified within the limits of position, progression, etc.

If you are experienced in steels only, this will be a great learning experience. Don't be alarmed if you have to make several attempts to pass. You will learn all about the need to properly clean the material, to keep everything clean while welding, how to control interpass temperature, that you should not use grinding or sanding disks that use aluminum oxide as the abrasive. Oh yes, you will learn many wonderful things.

You will save yourself a lot of time and money and your hair (if you are young enough to still have hair [nose and ear hair don't count]) if you hire someone experienced in welding aluminum. It is a different animal from steel.

There is a fella by the name of Al Moore that does a good deal of consulting for folks working with aluminum. You can probably track him down with a Google search.

Best regards - Al

gtaw -
Thanks for the response.
I've been welding aluminum TIG for a little while, so I appreciate your comment about aluminum not being like steel. Very true.
Circling back on one question from my original post, which was too long.
If I test on a 3/16" thick plate (which would give me certification up to 3/8" thick plate), do the bend strips have to be milled down to 1/8" thick prior to bend wrap testing (one on face side, one on root side)?
btw, I've seen that guy Al Moore on AWS discussion boards. Seems very experienced.

In response to your question whether on not the specimens need to be machined, the answer is yes. The root surface is machined for the face bend and the face surface must be machined for the root bend. That applies to both the welder performance test or the procedure qualification. The welder that weld the test coupon for the qualification of the WPS is also qualified within the limits of thickness, position, etc.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back