Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

aws welding engineer certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

abangbikerz

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2012
MY
Im planning to invest quite a lot amount of money to enroll in AWS welding engineer course. I got passion in welding and welding engineering field since i first know about welding. So i am willing to spend my money on this. But before doing so, i wanna ask all experienced professional here about the demand of welding engineer around the world right now and in the future. So far in my country the demand seems fair.

TQ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hear the underwater welder types really pull in the big bucks... but it's not my field, so take that with a grain of salt.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

There is plenty of demand for Welding Engineers at the moment. I am not sure of your background, education and experience in welding, and whether the AWS CW Engineer certificate will meet your expectations. Experienced Welding Engineers can readily make $100,000+ in the USA and I know a number of new hires, with experience, that received $10,000 signing bonus. CWI's in Power & Petrochemical construction are making similar (and more) with overtime & per diem.

i have a diploma in mechanical engineering. CSWIP 3.0, ASNT Level II in MPI. and 2 years QC experience in pressure vessel manufacturing. does that good enough??

Im in asia BTW.

Whereas your location has the greater effect on salary and acceptance of the AWS CW Engineer certificate, I cannot answer. I should think that additional experience would be needed if you only have 2 years experience in welding - or do you actually have more?

Your qualifications would not be sufficient for licensing as a welding engineer in the US, however, many welding engineers work in exempt industries. The AWS certification is nice, but as stanweld noted, you have little experience to offer yourself as a welding engineer.

Thanx everyone for the reply. But does AWS Cweng cert is just a resume topper or is it a mandatory requirement to become a welding engineer???

Technically you may meet the AWS requirements. The AWS CWEng will not hurt but I would consider your experience far more relevant in hiring you for a Welding engineering position. I would need more info regarding actual welding duties; e.g., have you written WPSs and had them qualified, for what materials, processes? Or have you only been involved with welding NDE inspection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back