Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Axial Static vs Dynamic Test (PDA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

structech08

Structural
Sep 10, 2008
PH
Hello,

Which is more reliable, Axial Static or PDA? What is the pros and cons of these tests?

Thanks,
Structech08

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

both. axial static let's you see what you put on there and can measure what you need. with PDA, it seems like voodoo to some but is a great tool. Plus, you can perform PDA on many piles for a more representative sampling. if i had to pick one or the other, i'd pick PDA.

check LRFD. Static load tests have a higher reliability. The best reliability is from doing both, however (cost notwithstanding).

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

Static test are easier, more reliable, less expensive. But you should also emphasize on the aim of the experiment. If your trying to correlate for a dynamic process for example, better to go with dynamic test than static.

Static pile tests are easier and cheaper than PDA?!? For PDA, a guy flies from Cleveland to the site with two suitcases of equipment on Tuesday, tests 5 piles on Wednesday (and gives you preliminary results), flies home on Thursday, spends Friday and Monday on post-processing (CAPWAP), writes the report and emails it to you on Tuesday. Just guessing on their daily rates, but I think that's probably under $US20,000 to test 5 piles, including expenses, and only a week to get you the report.

dgillette, I was a little taken aback when I saw the statement from Arrow also. For the static test need to install the reaction piles, plus getting the heavy pieces of steel, and then set up and test. I remembered on on one job site we did several PDA and one static, and static was soo much more laborious. I would be intersted to see the unit price for each test.

Arow is out of his mind. Plenty of local guys do PDAs for a few thousand unless you are in some exotic place where these guys are not available locally.

PDAs do have some disadvantages such as do not work with vibratory hammers (unless hokus pokus is invoked). Probably not well suited for timber, composite or drilled piles. They do have the advantage providing some indication of side friction vs end bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back