Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Axis to Axis calculation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gopinath K

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2023
IN
Hi
can any one help on this attached axis to axis shift calculations ?
i am aware virtual condition and resultant conditions but i had confusion on applying datum shift add or subtract ?
long back i worked on stack up method now after a gap i had confused,
please let me your ease way of calculations like any other method apart from stack up.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cf6a670f-1f11-4730-a71c-d5d543f0d5a0&file=calc.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

[pre]"Below is a link to the file:
Coaxia;ity_positional_tolerance-1.xlsx"
^[/pre]

The edit didn't work.

Sure - I can also probably manually change the download URL to escape code the ";" as well.

When I hit the link, the file gets downloaded.

Its name is 'coaxia' and it has no extension.

I rename it to 'coaxia.xlsx' and it works fine.

3DDave said:
Isn't that a calculation of the maximum perfectly parallel shift of the axes and does not address angular variation?

Yes, it is. And that is another problem with this example. In 2009 and 2018, they at least added figures, 7-58(d) & 10-56(d) respectively, to show that an angular variation is also possible.

pmarc said:
Each cell in the table for case D can be expressed mathematically as (T+B+S)/2

My understanding is that T + B + S = Total allowable tolerances for the considered feature (for coaxial part only), while (T + B + S) / 2 = Max distance between axes (parallel). And I think this expression will apply on all cases (A,B,C and E) calculation instead of on case D only, am I right?

Thanks for the term UAMME, the first time I saw this term is on the standard Y14.45-2021

I will say again : You always make things easier to understand, a star to you.

Season

SeasonLee said:
....You always make things easier to understand....

SeasonLee,
I have noticed that too about pmarc. I don't know what is going on here [bigsmile] [bow]

I think that is because pmarc really REALLY understand these concepts.....
“If you can't explain it to a six-year-old, then you don't understand it yourself” Albert Einstein

I say it again THANK YOU pmarc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back