Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[b]In Context-Delete or not Delete?[/b] 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancey

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2001
US
Most of the work I do in SW are assemblies and although I generally have an idea of what I want a lot of the design actually happens as I build. Because of this I use a lot of in context features and dimensions for model behavior (which is different than the way I would dimension it for manufacturing). This allows me to make numerous changes in my assembly without having a sea of red and have mating parts update with changes. Unfortunately, I end up with a bunch of part models with in context features and dimensions that I will not use at the drawing level. I am at the point now where I don’t even bother importing model dimensions. Finally, I was wondering if others do the same thing and do they take the extra time to go back and delete the in context refs and redimension for importing into the drawing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's the way I work. I design fully in-context, and once the design is stable, I go back and remove all in-context relations and redimension as required.

There's been a ton of discussion on this in the past. This forum's Search function can be pretty handy. Check out the following:
thread559-95652
thread559-106374
faq559-871

[green]"But what... is it good for?"[/green]
Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Same here. I don't like having all the relationships tied to other files once we move away from development into production. After that point, I can always reestablish relationships within the assembly where needed, but my parts won't be tied to the assembly or other parts within the assembly.

This can be handy if I want to edit a part within the context of a different assembly for a different purpose. You may have run into this situation where relations in another assembly will not allow you to create new relationships in a different assembly. Simply get rid of the old relationships and you can form new ones in other assemblies. More freedom and stability.

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

I've never been a big fan of importing dimensions from the model to the drawing. Often, the way a model is built is not the way a part should be dimensioned for building, inspection, or function.

Working from top-down, features are often created that have no dimensions, so importing model dimensions is pointless.

I believe the only important thing is that dimensions in a drawing are not "faked" with manual values typed in. As long as the dimensions reflect the actual state of the CAD geometry, it doesn't matter if the dimensions are imported or drawing on the drawing itself.

[bat]"Customer satisfaction, while theoretically possible, is neither guaranteed nor statistically likely.[bat]--E.L. Kersten

I agree with all of the above.

Remove the in-context references once the design is done, but do not necessarily re-dimension just for importing to the drawing.

Dimension the part for design intent - how do you want the part to behave if altered in the future.
Dimension the drawing for manufacturing.

I have found that "Insert model items" works best if only done for seleced features.

We hardly ever use insert model items because our drawings need to be ordinate dimensioned.

Nice to get such a quick response back from all the heavy hitters! I sure feel a lot better about my current practices. Stars for everyone.

Funny...

I never (well, almost never) use incontext parts.

One of my targets is to use the same parts in many products as possible, so production costs stays always down.

In context and standard: these words does not mix.

I also create the parts thinking in the way they will be produced/assembled (again, the design intent). This way I can import dimensions from model to drawing.

It's evident that, during the design process, more operations and more attention should be paid in order to maintain the consistency of the assembly, when changes are done. But I feel comfortable this way.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, just noting how we can use SW in such different ways and attain our goals!

Regards

I do a lot of incontext modeling myself and very rarely do I import model dimensions and delete incontext geometry. After I am done with the designing portion with incontext, I simply lock all the external references (right click on the incontext geometry, then "List External Reference" and "Lock All").

This way if there is a change that is required later on (ie a revision change), you can unlock the external references, and update as require and you will not be seeing red later with the mates and other features that is referencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back