Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[B]Pump Specification 600GPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

traindriver

Automotive
Sep 6, 2002
US
I need some assistance specifing a pump type (impeller, PD, screw, lope, etc) that will perform to these specifications:

600 GPM
Head 400 ft
Suction 10 ft

This will be pumping deisel, gasoline, and jet fuel. It is a transfer pump system. My project is to integrate an "off the shelf" pump into a proprietary drive system. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Talk to a pump supplier. It is there job and they will definitely offer you an off the shelf pump for cost reasons.

However, as an engineer you will be considering other factors: Hazardous area rated motors, fire safe design, double mechanical seals, exclusion of iron (brittle fracture possibility in fires) and the exclusion of copper and its alloys. (Australian Standard recommends staying away from copper and copper can react with diesel). The pump suppliers do not know all of these factors and therefore you need to specify them to him.

traindriver:

I also would stress what tickle has said. Especially when talking about the jet fuel as there are aviation industry standards for system designs that reach all the way from the aircraft to the refinery and specifically exclude any use of copper, or copper alloys, in Jet A storage and transport systems.

These systems normally use centrifugal pumps and codes often discourage, if not directly disallow the use of PD pump for fuel applications.

Again, tickle is right, once you settle all of these code questions, the pump manufacturer's representative should be able to give you a pretty quick answer on specific models, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back