Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

B16.11 ASME parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnG_Engr

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2017
US
ASME Community,

I ran into a situation recently where I wanted to use a B16.11 boss connection instead of a half coupling; however, the companies that supply fittings want to charge an obscene amount for them. I looked up boss connections in B16.11 and they're identical to half couplings with the exception of the beveled end.

Question: Can I have a half coupling machined to match a boss connection, per B16.11, without voiding it as an ASME part?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are boss and half coupling to be either SW or thread fitting, not for beveled end?

Or, may find other vendors who can provide the boss fitting for you.

mk3223,

Fittings were NPT. The two major US mfgs of fittings are Penn Machine and Bonney Forge. They offer B16.11 half couplings AND MSS-SP-97 thread-o-lets (TOLs). Neither offered B16.11 boss connections for a recent project. It would have been convenient if I could have had a half coupling machined to a boss. Additionally, some Customers (e.g. "Bill's" Pipeline) only accept ASME parts, not MSS-SP-97. I cannot think of an engineering reason why a half coupling can't be machined into a boss, but it would be nice if I could quote ASME on the subject.

What's your construction code?

GDD
Canada

I think even if it's the same product, since you probably do not hold an ASME BPVC product certificate, they would not count as ASME parts after your own modifications. Unless there is a paragraph in ASME B16.11 that accepts slight parts modifications, I don't see anyway out of it.

OnG_Engr, you seem to be saying that, in effect, if one uses a half-coupling that it may only be fillet welded to the parent component.

This is obviously not true. It shall be prepared for the weld detail selected, single-sided fillet, partial penetration or full penetration.

I can't tell you it is written that half-couplings may beveled for welding, but I can tell you it is done all the time.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back