Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Babbitt thickness on plain journal bearings on centrifugal compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinectica

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2003
ES
Good morning guys,
I would be very grateful if someone could give me an idea, about his own experience, regarding the recommended babbitt thickness in plain journal bearings for a centrifugal compressor with these carachteristics:

Power 300 kW (max electric motor power)
Rotor weight 40 kg (aprox)
speed 13000 rpm
shaft diameter 70 mm

We have radial bearings (lemon bore) with a babbitt thickness of 1 mm. As I have recently read in some publications, this is so much in the fatigue point of view, and maybe I could increase the fatigue resistance by a coating with less qauntity of babbitt. The problem is that our bearing manufacturer says that with less than this 1 mm is not feasible to guarantee the bonding between the base metal and the antifriction.

Which is your experience about the coating thickness in this kind of bearings? is it feasible to reduce it into less than 1 mm?

If someone knows where to manufacture them in Spain, better :)

Thank you so much for your kind help,

Marc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

is the fatigue resistance the limiting factor in the bearing life right now? if not, i would not change the design, or even might want to increase it somewhat.

remember: one of the good things from a babbitt bearing is the fact that when overheated it melts and the fluid babbitt material can act as a temporary lubricant preventing catastrophic failure of the rotor and the shaft.

if the loading is such that fatigue is a problem, there are only two ways to solve the problem: increase the bearing surface area or change to another type of bearing material. the first solution calls for a costly redesign, the second option is cheaper but you will loose the "babbitt induced safetynet" in the process: when the bearing goes, the resulting damage to the shaft will problably be prohibitive for further use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back