Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Back to basics calculation for ASME Pressure Vessel with Flat Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissy123

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2019
GB
Hi all - I'm going back to basics with my pressure vessel analysis and starting with ASME to calculate the acceptable operating pressure of a pressure vessel. My model is simple - flat head cylindrical. Length of cylinder 500mm, inside radius 254mm, cylinder shell thickness 100mm, flat head thickness 10mm, material properties, E=107GPa, poissons =0.3, yield 207 MPa. From the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, Div. I, UG-27, the thickness of a cylindrical shell under internal pressure must be no less than
𝑡 = 𝑃𝑅/(𝑆𝐸 − 0.6𝑃) but this is for the thickness of the shell of the cylinder. I have found this equation for the thickness of the flat head:
ASMe_eqn_mlujjb.jpg

I'm making the assumption that Corrosion is zero and welding efficiency is 1 (just for this simple calcuation), C=0.33 for a weld

d = inner diameter = (2*inside radius) = 508mm, S=allowable stress which from this forum is 2/3Yield = 138MPa,

So re-arranging the equation gives a formula for Acceptable Operating P as P=(t^2*S*E)/(d^2*C) = (10^2*138*1)/(508^2*0.33) = 0.16Mpa .... is that a reasonable ball-park figure?
thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chrissy123, given your assumptions your arithmetic is correct.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Chrissy123:
And, I’m sure that SnTMan would agree that, three winks, a nod of the head and a finger up the nose allows for at least two bad assumptions, and a satisfactory/perfect outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back