Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddaire

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2012
US
Help.

How do I change the background color scheme on part and assemblies permanently? I know that I can go to Format => View => Background and change that way, but how can I get these changes to stay on all files I open, instead on doing this process on each individual design I'm working on?

Notes: - Solid Edge V20.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The background is set in the file so changing the template will only change new files.

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

While you're correct beach, I took the OP as wanting it to be done already on all new files. Maybe I was stretching my interpretation of their post.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Just wanted to clarify before the OP came back saying it didn't work.
To be honest, I never worry about the background colour - it is what it is.

bc.

I only worry when I'm helping tech pubs make pretty pictures.

For modelling the default is pretty good - for draft light gray/grey has it's advantages but with flat screens the glare isn't as bad.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Very true Kenat.
I read somewhere recently that a graduated background with dark at the top and light at the bottom is good because it mimics the sky - as at sunrise/sunset, and that is pleasing to the eye.

bc.

yeh, these guys are right... Find the template file in your computer's program files, edit the background, then save it. All new drawings based on this template will use your new background style. Make sure you have write access to the specific files (This can cause problems for a number of things, saving BOM templates etc). I don't know of a quick way to change existing files, you may have to do it the old fashioned way!

Cheers,

Iain Rourke

Iain, that is one o my issues. I do not have write access. Anybody no how I can save the templates on my personal drive, and use them? As in, where and how do I change the file location paths?

If the option has not been blocked by your site administrator, copy the C:\Program Files\Solid Edge\Template folder and/or template files to a folder location you have write access to. Then launch Solid Edge -> Application Button -> Solid Edge Options -> File Locations -> User Templates -> set to the location you copied the template files to. Modify your copied templates as you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back