Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backpressure calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksprague

Mechanical
Sep 1, 2002
US
I work in a 160 MW coal fired Power Plant. The turbine is a condensing turbine with a surface condenser. After our last outage it was noticed that one of our three backpressure indications started reading 2 inHg different than the others. The one that is reading different is taken 30 feet higher than the others. Our Technicians believe that the difference in elevation (30 ft) is enough to give us the 2 inHg difference. Seems like a lot to me. Any comments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes, it is a lot.
what where they reading before the outage?
does your design spec call for a bias due to the difference in location (correction for density, temperature?)
HTH
Saludos
a.

2" Hg is big. The 30 foot height will not affect the pressure reading a measurable amount. Your are talking about a column of steam under a vacuum. You would need in the order of 20,000 ft to get that pressure difference.

Just a thought what do your turbine exhaust temperatures read. It is a saturated system and they should match up.

We've had problems with water in the sensing line throwing the backpressure indication off. I don't like to see the pressure indication off more than .25".

Maybe you have a vacuum leak at the sensing line connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back