Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup of Outlook Express Folders and Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

kxa

Structural
Nov 16, 2005
US
I have a lot of files in my Outlook Express folders (Inbox, Send, ....) that I would like to backup onto a CD in case my computer crashes one day. I checked the Help menu but that wasn't helpfull!

I thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try searching for ‘backup’ in outlook express help. It tells you how to backup these files. The files you need to backup have extensions *.dbx (i.e. Inbox,dbx, Send.dbx, etc). They can be copied to a CD or other backup media.

These files are usually found in the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{0B686587-3426-42EE-BD21-A0C8AD4EC085}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Alternatively, search for files with extension ‘dbx’. You will need to select ‘search in hidden files and folder’ in your search (advanced) options.

Regards,
gtsim

Thanks for the advice.

gtsim, This seems to be the quickest way but if I remember correctly, several years ago I copied those folders (send.dbx, inbox.dbx..) onto a disk but when I went back to replace the ones in Outlook Express, the program would allow it. Do you know if those folders are protected? If so could I copy the folders and then import them?

Thanks again,

Kxa,

I have only being using outlook express recently. However, I lost my hard disk a month ago, but had backed up my folders and files including the *.dbx files. I was able to copy them back on to the new disk into the corresponding folder and had no problems. It all worked fine. I copied all the files across, not just the send.dbx and inbox.dbx.

I trust this helps.

Regards,
gtsim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back