Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backwash Pump Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiowater

Civil/Environmental
Jan 2, 2003
US
We are designing for backwash control of a dual media rapid sand filter (18" anthracite/12" sand). We are proposing to utilize a constant speed, 7,500 gpm vertical turbine/lineshaft pump drawing from Clearwell for backwash. Backwash header will have a rate of flow controller (integral venturi/butterfly) to control backwash rate. Also proposing a blow-off on backwash header to prevent media lifting. Do we need a pump control valve on backwash pump (such as ball or cone)? What would be the advantages or alternatives? Are there ball valve size limits?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

backwash flow towards filters will be delivered through a pipe with dia 16'' to 20'', i guess.

Ball or other type of regulating valve would be too expensive for that size. I think that the usual practice (or at least what I have used in such cases) is to install one butterfly valve with electric actuator & positioner on the main delivery pipeline towards filters. Also you need a flow meter to provide control feed-back for valve opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back