Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad Coffee 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

KENAT

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2006
US
OK, a bit of a stretch for a serious "Obstacle Getting My Work Done Forum" but what is with the bad coffee? I'm here late trying to get stuff done and the coffee aint helping.

The coffee itself is supposedly a fairly reputable brand, Peets.

However, whenever I get a cup it tastes awful. 5 little containers of half & half and it's barely paletable. I had about the best cup I've had in months today, I got through almost half of it before I couldn't take the taste anymore.

Only good thing about the coffee is it's free.

I'll admit I'm not much of a Coffee drinker, much prefer hot tea with cow juice being a Brit originally (I know a lot of Brits like coffee & it's a stereotype but work with me here). In fact I'd be drinking tea but my milk went off. However, I've heard other mutterings about the issue.

So anyone else have this problem, anyone fixed it?

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gymmeh, I think you mean espresso. As for expresso in any worthwhile coffee bar and you'll get a blank look (or your language corrected).

I've been through the "free" coffee experience too in one of our US offices and while I've never sampled "poop water", I get the drift. Doubling the strength made it a bit better (although the locals complained).

Oddly enough after a few months of abstinence I quite like the synthetic stuff that comes out of our machine here now.

- Steve

I was amused to discover "caff[è] americano" in Italy--a cup of "real" coffee (espresso, I guess) plus a large mug of hot water to adulterate it with. I don't drink coffee, but one of my co-workers decided that the optimal mix was two espressos in the large mug of water.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

I gotta say HgTX, I'm a big fan of americano, I just am not awake enough in the morning to drop an espresso down my gullet -- the Americano does the trick for me though.

Well, the free coffee is part of the entire compensation package right. Surely I've as much right to moan about this as if they changed my medical benefits or pension or something;-).

'Spose I could vote with my feet if it offends too much and find somewhere with a tea person.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

They just announced here that due to corporate belt tightening, our free coffee service will be replaced with vending machine coffee. It looks like a lot of personal coffee pots are going to find their way into the office. At least we will be able to determine the quality we are willing to shell out for.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - [small]Thomas Jefferson [/small]

Oy. That brings back memories from my 1st job. We had only vending machine coffee, so I brought my little dorm-room 4-cup maker to work. Cube mate and I used it, then the guy from over the wall wanted some...pretty soon we had to put out a kitty can, and that worked for awhile ($.10 a cup), until we emptied the dozenth or so can of coffee and there was no money in the kitty to buy another, so I just quit making it (brought in a thermos for me and cube mate, and kept it in a locked cabinet).

Also, the boss' secretary wanted in our action shortly after we started, and brought in her own pot and "gourmet" coffee (the kind with vanilla or chocolate flavoring in it, gag). She charged $.25 a cup, but nobody would drink it. She then had the boss "ask" (it was an order at first) us to either charge more money or stop "selling" coffee. But, all the lads getting their coffee from our pot raised a stink...so he dropped the matter...but the pecking order in our dept. started to form around whose coffee you drank. If you were a suck-up management wannabe, you drank the high-priced stuff, and the secretary made sure your name got on the bosses' calendar for your meeting. If you were a knuckle-dragging grunt, well...

Then facilities got involved, and no un-approved appliances were allowed, so all of it came to an end. Then they took my stapler again...

We aren't allowed to bring in our own kettles/coffee makers. They are classed as unapproved electrical equipment (some kind of H&S and/or Insurance BS).

- Steve

btrueblood,
You should probably start packing your boxes for the move to the basement... and don't forget those TPS reports.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - [small]Thomas Jefferson [/small]

That was about 7 jobs back...before the building mysteriously burnt down...

Waiter, I asked for no salt on my margarita, and this has salt on it, I specifically requested no salt...

There are two solutions to the coffee problem when they start whining about having your own pot, one is to bring your grounds and your cup to work and use hot water from the bathroom. dump in coffee, then fill with hot water. Just drink it slow and the crunchies will stay at the bottom (mostly).
the other solution is to cut out the brewing completely and just munch chocolate covered espresso beans. (by the way I have an Expresso, it was a special model of the Plymouth neon in 96 that later became a clone of the dodge sport model.)

Luck is a difficult thing to verify and therefore should be tested often. - Me

carnage1 has the right idea. Banning personal coffee pots is just a red herring. All you need is coffee and hot water. I'll avoid using hot water from the tap though as long as I can nuke my water. ;-)

I had some of those chocolate covered beans.

The only problem was my desire for the chocolate overcame my realization that each one of those things pack a mean caffeine punch.

I got a lot of work done that day and didn't get to sleep anytime soon.

"by the way I have an Expresso, it was a special model of the Plymouth neon in 96 that later became a clone of the dodge sport model."

So does it make a pretty good cuppa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back