Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baffle plate thickness for a rectangle tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechatronic

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2002
CA
PLEASE HELP Kindly help. There is metallic rectangular tank, where liquid is stored. (On any one half). There is a plate (baffle plate) which divides the tank into two. The baffle plate and the tank assembly is in a civil pit. Baffle plate is welded on both sides on insert plates of the civil pit and baffle plate is not supported at the bottom.

Hence the weight of the tank of 6 tons and additional load of liquid in any one half which is 7.8 ( total 13.8 tons) is acting on baffle plate. That means baffle plate is acting as a beam fixed at both sides,

And a load is acting from 1350 mm from one edge to 3300 mm and again there is a gap of 1350 mm till the another fixed end.
| 1350 | 3300 | 1350 |
--------------------------------
x m n y
Consider Liquid is present only in one section say Section A marked on the sketch which

1.1X 3.3x 1.8 = 6.534 cum

Weight is 6.534 X 1.2 (density) = 7.8 tons (max)

Box weight is 3.5 tons. (Approximately as given by vendor)

Now the baffle plate is fixed at point X and Point Y , Point M and N are the places where weight of the box and the liquid act on Baffle plate. Baffle plate is welded at x and Y but not rested on floor

Therefore Baffle plate 6 meter length ( x and y) ( 1.8 meter height and about 6 mm thk) is considered a fixed or simply supported beam

Do u think the thickness 6 mm sufficient?
How to actually see buckling case?
How to check for compression case?

Can you kindly help me with calculations please.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could not find sketch. Could not find section A. Which dimension is depth? How is tank weight loading the baffle plate? Assume tank length is 6 meters; assume tank width is 2.2 meters which is divided by baffle plate, giving 1.1 meters on both sides; and assume depth is 1.2 meters. The center space volume is holding 7800 kilograms of liquid which has a triangular pressure distribution of zero at the top and 1440 at the bottom. The model of the baffle plate that I arrive at, is a continuous beam with three spans, fixed at the outside ends and supported on hinges at points m and n. I can see no case of buckling, just flexure or bending stress on the 6 mm thick plate/beam. More details or confirm my assumptions please.

Confusing, isn't it? I think what he is saying is that the "baffle plate" is spanning 6 metres and carrying this tank which is loaded on one side of the baffle only. My interpretation of the tank is that it is 3300 long, 2200 wide, and 1800 deep, divided into two compartments each 1100 wide. Whole thing is supported only on the centre 1800 deep x 6000span plate. So what takes the torsion when one side only is loaded?

By "tons", I take it tonnes is meant.

The "box weight" is 3.5 tonnes, but the "tank weight" is 6 tonnes. Is that because you have factored the vendor's load?

Sounds like you will need a horizontally spanning member top and bottom to resist the couple created by the unbalanced load in the tank.

Hello Civil person/Mike/ Hokie,

I am sorry I could not able to upload the sketch. Civil person, Tank is 2200 Width, 3300 Length, 1800 height

Baffle which devides the tank into two half of 1100 each
baffle plate lenth is 6000 and 1800 height

so baffle extends over tank wall by 1350 both sides
( 6000- 3300 = 2700 and 2700/2 = 1350

But baffle plate is fixed at the ends X and Y but not supported .

all dimensions in mm and box and tank are same . Yes it is for sulphur. Liquid weight + tank weight is 7.8 tonnes

Don't get what you mean by "baffle plate is fixed at the ends X and Y but not supported." I thought X and Y were your supports. If that is the case, my previous post seems to have all the right assumptions, and you need a top and bottom horizontally oriented member to prevent rotation of the tank when loaded in only one cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back