Bag filter failure(s) help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipereyes

Industrial
Jan 28, 2004
US
Hi all,

I am hoping that someone can help me. I apologize in advance for this very lengthy post.

We installed a bag filter system for our heated, 600 gallon alkaline degreaser tank and it has been nothing but a nightmare since. The rep we purchased the system from is not sure why we are having so many problems. He did come to our facility to look at the application before quoting the system.

The degreaser tank is used to clean oils, grinding dust, and other debris off from small springs and stampings. The oils are standard non-chlorinated lubricating/stamping oils. We clean both carbon and stainless steel parts in the tank. The raw degreaser is a powder that we mix with water and is heated to 175 F. We keep it at an 8 – 12 oz/gallon concentration; the pH runs just over 12.5. The components, CAS Numbers, and concentrations of the raw degreaser are:

Sodium Hydroxide, 1310-73-2, 10-30 %
Sodium Carbonate, 497-19-8, 40-70 %
Alcohol Ethoxylate Phosphate, 68130-47-2, .5–1.5 %
Sodium Tripolyphosphate, 7758-29-4, 3–7 %
Nonylphenoxpoly (Ethyleneoxy) Ethanol, 9016-45-9, 1–5 %

The filter is a basic, out of tank bag style filter using a centrifugal pump with a 3 hp 3500 RPM motor. The pump has a standard John Crane Type 21 mechanical Seal with carbon/silicon-carbide faces, viton elastomers, and 316 stainless metal parts. The pump is located about 8 feet from the tank.

After running only a couple of weeks, a leak developed between the motor and pump. We took it apart and found that the seal had too much wear (wouldn’t fit tight on the motor shaft). Our distributor said we must have run it dry. I said I didn’t think so, but he disagreed.

We replaced the seal and this time it lasted less than one week. Leaks developed at two of the brass ball valves and at the pump again. We were sure that the pump had not been run dry this time. The pump seal was worn again so we replaced it a second time. The ball valves showed significant damage. They looked like they were attacked by termites. Each of them had one or more tunnel like grooves dug into them. We replaced all the brass ball valves (which the rep said would be fine to use) with stainless steel valves. The piping was already stainless.

Less than two weeks later, it suffered a major failure. At some point the pump began leaking badly and, before anyone caught it, all of the liquid from the tank had leaked into a pit behind the tank. OK, so this time the pump did run dry, but the seal had failed first. We not only had to replace the seal, we also had to purchase a new motor because the seal wore a .015 deep x .10 wide groove in the motor shaft.

Keep in mind that all this time we are communicating between the system rep, the pump manufacturer, and the chemical supplier to try and solve the problem. All I kept hearing from everyone was the proverbial “huh, I never heard of that before”. Everyone seems to agree that the degreaser we use should be compatible with the wetted parts.

The rep insisted that we were doing something that caused the problem. Either we were running it dry or someone was putting something in the tank that caused damage to the seal. They said they have these pumps everywhere with no problems.

OK, once more we put a new seal on the new motor shaft. It lasted almost two weeks. Took it apart – the seal spring was broke in three places and the motor shaft again has a groove wore in it.

The rep now says that the problem must be that we should have used a carbon seal instead of the silicon-carbide seal. He explained that a straight carbon seal is more forgiving. I reminded him of the groove in the motor shaft and told him that I was not going to purchase another motor just so “we could try a different seal”. He told us that “that little groove” would not matter with a new seal. I disagreed but just to prove a point, we went ahead and put the new seal in, re-installed the pump, turned it on and watched the liquid immediately begin to leak out onto the floor.

I have questioned using this type of pump for the application numerous times starting after the first failure but the rep insists that this is the correct pump for the application and that it is something we are doing.

What do you think?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

shit can the rep! the rep is merely taking your money. as you are finding out, guesswork will not solve the problem.

obviously, the wetted parts of the pump, including valves, and seal, nust be compatible with the pumpage (fluid being pumped) so as to avoid any accelerated or premature deteriation of wetted pump parts.

also, any particulates in pumpage may accelerate premature failure of the seal. perhaps an analysis of the pumpage is needed, even though you provided some data.

Any problems with tank or piping?

i "assume" the type 21 is a brand or type of seal from john crane. failed seals should be analyzed by the mfg or a rep that the mfg recommends.

since failure is primarily at the pump, then perhaps you should investigate the pump hydraulics (i.e. design criteria for pump and what is offered/installed by mfg). I presume the pump is a centrifugal.

i need to go now, but this is a start for you and others to work on.

good luck!
-pmover

It is my impression that you probably have a material compatibility problem. The Type 21 seal does not have a dynamic o-ring against the shaft. If you are seeing shaft damage, the drive end of the rubber bellows is probably coming loose from the shaft and spinning. If you are seeing broken springs, the spring material is probably not correct. I don't believe face material is the answer. A carbon face will not prevent the issues I just mentioned. And if the problem is abrasive particles rather than chemical attack, the carbon face could make things much worse. The standard materials for this seal are usually Buna or Viton elastomers with 316 SS hardware. They offer upgraded versions that use Monel hardware and a John Crane proprietary elastomer called Cranelast. You should determine if these upgraded materials could improve the situation. If you can't be sure, then a bellow seal might be the solutions. This eliminates all dynamic elastomers and allows for the use of Hastelloy or other alloys to offer further resistance to chemical attack. I would suggest that you bypass the company rep for the system and the pump manufacturer and go straight to John Crane.

Johnny Pellin

Yes, it is a centrifugal pump. I provided pictures of the piping to the pump manufacturer and they didn't see any problem.

This same cleaner, although in a weaker concentration, is being used in a older tank that has a bag filter using a centrifugal pump. It never has problems. So I am leaning towards it being the grinding dust particles causing the problem.

Sorry if this is a silly question but in bag filters, either in tank or out of tank, why use pumps that have that kind of velocity? Why wouldn't a diapham pump work for this application?

the responsible individual needs to look at the hydraulics of the system requirements (i.e. head and flow requirements). if alternate pumps (i.e. diaphragm) are applicable, then consider them. the readers of these postings do not know the pump requirements; hence, the need to likely re-evaluate the overall system.

pumpage containing abrasive particles (dust particles ?) may very well lead to failure of centrifugal pumps and seals.

good luck!
-pmover

Ugh.

Viton and hot water plus alkalis is a bad mix, I keep getting people telling us to use that combination, and it always fails: first the Viton swells, then it cracks. I've been told by multiple seal companies including Parker that fluorocarbon elastomers aren't a good choice for hot water+alkaline cleaners. I even pinned down a Dupont sales rep who said he did not have data showing the standard Viton formulation was usable above 180 deg. F in alkali+water solutions (but he started out the conversation telling me what a wonderful material it was and how it would solve all my problems).

Find an EPDM seal, preferrably with peroxide-cured elastomer. Follow the other suggestions from the earlier posters too.

I'd recommend EPDM or Aflas for the elastomers. If you are having abrasive issues then the carbon face will not do you any good; silicon will be better for both abrasive resistance and chemical compatibility in most cases (depending on the grade). Contact your John Crane rep directly and let them evaluate a failed seal. They will be able to tell you exactly if all of the materials of construction are as advertised. Usually, single spring non-pushers such as the T-1, 2, and 21 are ideally suited for services like this when when properly applied / installed. As mentioned, avoid this so called rep as he apparently does not have anything to bring to the table and was most likely selling used cars before this venture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back